Herewith pass on a design research survey on in-car
safety and security from Andree Woodcock at Coventry
University. The results will be presented at the
Would be grateful if you give this your attention.
Please return the completed questionnaire to
I hope members of this list might be able to help me by completing the
Although the research is particularly interested in women' s in-car needs,
I am now hoping to broaden the survey to explore
whether there are any gender differences in car use and
experiences/attitudes to driving, so please respond if you are able.
The results of the work are being shared with automotive designers and
engineers and will be written up as a poster session at the codesign
Global Internet Survey of in-car security and safety needs
We are part of a consortium looking at how women use and feel about
their cars and their driving experience.
The results from this survey will be confidential. The results
will be used in two ways.
First, your experiences will be related to automotive concept
designers to inform the development of new cars and driving
environments. Second, information from this survey will be
developed into a set of guidelines on advice
and experience about international driving and best practice.
The survey is in two parts. It has been designed to be completed
quickly. I would appreciate it if you could answer the open
ended questions (11 through to 16) as fully as possible, so that we can
establish an accurate picture of your driving experiences in your own
I would also be grateful if you could forward this email on to as many
of your friends as possible.
Please return the completed questionnaire either to me, at this email
address: A.Woodcok@coventry, or fax it for the attention of Andree
Woodcock on +44 (0)1509 22333940.
1. Your age:
2. Your sex:
3. Which country do your answers relate to?
4. Length of driving experience:
5. In a car, are you mostly the driver, passenger or both?
6. When you drive, do you drive alone (please answer either always,
sometimes, never or varies)?
7. How would you characterise your passengers (e.g. partner, family,
friends, young children)?
8. What are your main reasons for driving (e.g. to work, to school, to
9. What is the make, model, year and size of your car?
10. Would you consider yourself to be a confident driver?
11. Does you car have any features to enhance your personal safety and
12. What extra safety and security features would you like to see in the
13. Have you ever been involved in a traffic incident or accident? If
yes, please describe it.
14. Please describe, as fully as possible, any circumstances in which
you have felt threatened as a motorist or passenger.
15. Please describe, as fully as possible, any circumstances in which
you have felt vulnerable as a motorist or passenger.
16. Please describe, as fully as possible, any circumstances in which
you have felt uncomfortable as a motorist or passenger.
17. Is there anything else you would like to add?
Thank you for your help in our survey. Please return the completed
questionnaire to [log in to unmask] and forward the initial email
to your friends and family if possible.
VIDe Centre, Coventry School of Art and Design,
University of Coventry, Priory Street, Coventry, UK