Re: Subject vs. Coverage?

Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:40:05 -0700

text/plain

Yes, but ... not the geographic/chron/typeformat names.
I've copied from the dc site only coverage and subject;
do note that Subject is intended ONLY for "topic of the
content" - and as I remember topic means only thematic
content, not e.g geographic content.

So what is needed here is to have LCSH as acceptable
authority list for Coverage.

Element: Coverage

            Name:        Coverage
            Identifier:  Coverage
            Definition:  The extent or scope of the content of the resource.
            Comment:     Coverage will typically include spatial location
(a place name
                         or geographic coordinates), temporal period (a
period label,
                         date, or date range) or jurisdiction (such as a named
                         administrative entity).
                         Recommended best practice is to select a value from a
                         controlled vocabulary (for example, the Thesaurus
of Geographic
                         Names [TGN]) and that, where appropriate, named
places or time
                         periods be used in preference to numeric
identifiers such as
                         sets of coordinates or date ranges.Element: Subject

            Name:        Subject and Keywords
            Identifier:  Subject
            Definition:  The topic of the content of the resource.
            Comment:     Typically, a Subject will be expressed as keywords,
                         key phrases or classification codes that describe
a topic
                         of the resource.
                         Recommended best practice is to select a value from a
                         controlled vocabulary or formal classification scheme.