RE: Progress??

Jon Mason <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 May 2000 16:10:12 +0930

Dear Clive,

answers in situ

regards & good luck!
Jon

	[Jon  Mason]  In relation to crystal ball gazing I suppose it's as
good a device
	as anything else with regard to predicting the future, particularly
during these
	early incubation years of oline services development.

> 1) Has the group come up with a set of elements with which to work (ie the
>
> pril 2000 deadline material)

	[Jon  Mason]  Please see the recommendations from the Kattemingga
workshop
	http://www.ischool.washington.edu/sasutton/dc-ed-f2f/

	The DC Advisory C'ttee is due to consider these recommendations &
other input
	from the DC-Ed mailing list very shortly. The C'ttee has been held
up by
	ballotting processes associated with development of a set of
interoperability
	qualifiers.

> 2) Is metadata really going to improve the way a student searches for a
> suitable resource on the internet?

	[Jon  Mason]  It will certainly be a factor which will aid this. But
other factors
	will include the student, the educator, general ICT competencies,
elegance of
	tools, services, portals available, etc.

> 3)Is the predicted emergence of XML as an internet standard going to make
> it much easier to classify material on a website? Is there anyone working
> on any kind of XML standards for educational webpages in the same way as
> other professions are?

	[Jon  Mason]  XML provides a means to extend metadata discovery
tools
	by providing a richer framework for capturing semantics. It will
also enable
	the separation of content from structure. The issue of
classification of
	information in an ever increasing & dynamic space such as the Web
will
	be perpetual. Sure, in the relativity of things, the 'next wave' of
an "xml-ised"
	web will be more amenable to structure & classification. But
classification
	schemas will also proliferate with uptake of XML & there will likely
be a whole
	bunch of new problems associated with this.

	Am not entirely clear on the second part of your question but you
should at
	least check out IMS --   http://www.imsproject.org/

	note re IMS -- you can assume that where management of online
educational
	resources is concerned, that the work of the DC-Education WG & that
of IMS
	will become increasingly complementary.

> Any URLs or other information that might be able to help me assess the
> impact of Dublin Core or XML on educational website clasification would be
>
>  very happily received. I can post a HTML version of my report to this
> group should you want to read it: the deadline for its completion is this
> Saturday!!!

	[Jon  Mason]  I'm sure there would be people on this list interested
in your
	report. Please share it if you want.