Help for BCS-DEVEL Archives

BCS-DEVEL Archives

BCS-DEVEL@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BCS-DEVEL Home

BCS-DEVEL  April 2000

BCS-DEVEL April 2000

Apologies for message with - C:\CoolProgs\Pretty Park

Crawford Revie <[log in to unmask]>

Crawford Revie <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Apr 2000 12:22:06 +0100

Dear all,

To all those who received a message from me with the Pretty-Park.exe file
attached - please accept my apologies.  Please DELETE the message and, more
importantly, the associated .EXE file.

As most of you have guessed it was an automatic virus 'Spam' which I
inadvertently opened this morning. If your mail system picked up the
problem and disinfected the email before it got to you, so much the better
- we rely on everyone 'being careful' here (I obviously was not careful
enough, on this occasion).  I received the EXE as an attachment from a
'trusted source' and opened it along with 15 other messages without really
thinking.

If you were unfortunate enough to open the .EXE file then you will now have
the same problem I am now addressing so I owe you twice the apology (that
is unfortunately how these chain-spam emails operate).  More importantly
you need to clean the Pretty-Park virus from your machine.  There is
information on the virus and a simple tool to remove it from your system at
the Symantec site :
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/prettypark.worm.html

Please be aware that if you are using Outlook Express (or similar - I was
using Eudora Light and thought I would be imune) you need to take active
steps to remove the virus as it re-executes every 30 minutes after infection.

If you have any further queries please drop me a note - and, once again, my
sincere apologies.

Crawford.