BRITARCH  April 2000

BRITARCH April 2000

Prester John

Sun, 30 Apr 2000 18:53:48 EDT

Bill,
Thanks for the information on the origins of Prester John.  I have read about
the forged letter of Prester John begging for help from the Emperor Manuel
Comnenus of Byzantium.  Does this letter still exist and who is the custodian
of the document?

Cheer.
Joe DiVanna
Cambridge Antiquarian Society

In 1165, a (forged) letter allegedly from Prester John was delivered to
Emperor Manuel Comnenus of Byzantium. Manuel forwarded the letter to Emperor
Frederic Babarous of the Holy Roman Empire. The forgery was quite clever, for
the forger had obviously read Otto von Freisingen's report and he repeated
many of the same stores and further played upon the hopes and fears of the
Europeans vis--vis the infidel Turks. The letter caused a sensation and not
only were copies circulated widely, but excepts were even put to song.

Excerpts from letter

"...I, Prester john, who reign supreme, surpass in virtue, riches and power
all creatures under heaven. Seventy kings are our tributaries. I am a zealous
Christian and universally protect the Christians of our empire, supporting
them by our alms. We have determined to visit the sepulchre of our Lord with
a very large army, in accordance with the glory of our majesty to humble and
chastise the enemies of the cross of Christ and to exalt his blessed name."
"For gold, silver, precious stones, animals of every kind and the number of
our people, we believe there is not our equal under heaven."
"If again thou askest how it is that the Creator of all having made us the
most superpotential and most glorious over all mortals-does not give us a
higher dignity or more excellent name than that of Priest (Prester), let not
thy wisdom be surprised on this account, for this is the reason. We have many
ecclesiastics in our retinue of more dignified name and office in the Church,
and of more considerable standing than ours in the divine service. For our
house-steward is a patriarch and king; our cup-bearer is an archbishop and
king; our chamberlain is a bishop and king; our archimandrite, that is chief
pastor or master of the horse, is a king and abbot. Whereof our highness has
not seen it repugnant to call himself by the same name and to distinguish
himself by the order of which our court is full. And if we have chosen to be
called by a lower name and inferior rank, it springs from humility."