Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  February 2000

BRITARCH February 2000

RE: Government launches Local Heritage Initiative

Malcolm Watkins <[log in to unmask]>

Malcolm Watkins <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:22:00 -0000

Isn't this precisely the sort of thing that makes traditional
archaeological societies (seem to be?) dry as dust? I joined mine at the
tender age of 12, and benefited all through my school and university
career, if only because it gave me access to a superb library - both as
a source and as workplace for homework and study.
If more young people join societies, and make their presence felt at
meetings, then the societies will tend to be more receptive to youthful
ideas. I am sad to say that at the wrong end of my forties, I am one of
the younger members of my society Council. This is crazy. We need the
diverse ideas and opinions of different groups to ensure that societies
and our interest survive - better to work together than to fragment into
hundreds of little local or agist groups. YAC should be an integrated
part of both the professional and established existing framework, not
setting up as a different one. It can be, and is, done in some areas.