Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  February 2000

BRITARCH February 2000

RE: Pre clovis American aboriginal culture

"Wayne Neighbors" <[log in to unmask]>

Wayne Neighbors

Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:50:32 -0500

I think the source of the below quote may be the basis of the post
discussing possible allegations of migrations from the Pacific
directly to South America in early prehistory based on A skull found
in 1998.  Much was made by the news services at the time of the
announcement out of South America.

"The oldest American found so far, an 11,500-year-old skeleton from
central Brazil, resembles southern Asians and Australians,
anthropologist Walter Neves of the University of So Paulo reported
last year."

If anyone knows Walter Neves, call him up and ask for details. By the
way, skeletal material that old in the Americas is not all that
uncommon. The "interpretation" of the possible origins was unusual. We
just went through five years of court proceeding with respect to
"Kennewick Man" up in Washington state (USA). When the 14C dates
finally were authorized, yes he was here prior to Columbus' arrival in
the New World, but not by much.

The above quote appears in the 26 April 1999 issue of Newsweek (USA).
The text is still up as  seven sequential web pages for viewing - a
long article. The above quote is located near the bottom of page 2 of
the web version of what appeared in the print news magazine. In the
above, "last year" makes reference to the 1998 news release.

Here is the link to the seven web pages that weave a bit of a
chronological story - as a news reporter might write the story.

http://www.newsweek.com/nw-srv/printed/us/so/so0117_1.htm

Though I did not view whatever may have been in a TV program in the
UK, I have no doubt someone may have used news sources to entertain -
and even might have passed it off as "fact"?

The "statement" (news release) did happen so that is a fact - but
there are no facts to my knowledge yet - to support the conclusions in
the news release.

Many of us assume it to be possible that "someone" (humans) may have
been in the Americas perhaps 25,000 to 30,000 years ago (or longer) -
but evidence of that has yet to appear in a manner not subject to
scholarly rebuttal on closer examination.

Indeed, I am aware of dates that "imply" habitation by humans at a
site not more than a two hour drive from my home with lithic
technology unlike anything else in the Americas - at the lowest and
oldest levels. That does not mean they are related to what they look
like - some micro blades from several sites in China - but the dates
are "old".

I host a web page about that a program for Dr. Goodyear as a favor to
him related to the site near my home. Dr. Goodyear has put in over 12
summers working there.  And there will be no peer reviewed
publications until the geology is sorted out. If anyone is interested,
they can view
http://anthro.org/paleo98.htm
which briefly describes one of the research. It includes a short
article from 1999 near the top with the "dates" and such. But before
you launch your browser, be aware It is a long web page and graphics
intensive. It exists only to inform some who have interests about that
very large quarry site (lithic "manufacture" went on there for a very
long time at some point in prehistory).

I hope the material near the top of this post might provide some
background to the "skull" from South America?

Warm regards,

Wayne Neighbors, Ph.D.
President, Vee Ring Ltd
http://anthro.org/index.htm