Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  February 2000

BRITARCH February 2000

Government launches Local Heritage Initiative

Alex Hunt <[log in to unmask]>

Alex Hunt <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 03 Feb 2000 10:35:33 +0000

Countryside Agency

Wednesday, 2 February 2000

CHRIS SMITH LAUNCHES NEW INITIATIVE - TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE
TO GET INVOLVED IN THEIR LOCAL LIVING HISTORY

A new national grant scheme to help people care for their local
landscape, landmarks and traditions kicks off today with the help of
the Heritage Lottery Fund and Nationwide Building Society. Following
the success of Countryside Agency pilot projects, ranging from lime
kilns to local histories, wildlife sites to walls and way marks, some
#8 million of Heritage Lottery Fund money will open up the Local
Heritage Initiative more widely to the public.

Launching the new initiative at Coram's Fields in London today,
Culture Secretary Chris Smith said:

"This initiative recognises that the long term future of our local
heritage lies in the hands of those who value it at local level. Even
the smallest grant can make a vital difference to our local
communities and, by extending the Local Heritage Initiative today,
even more communities will have the opportunity to benefit. By taking
ownership of our heritage we can ensure its continued enjoyment for
future generations."

Dr Eric Anderson, chairman of the Heritage Lottery Fund, said:

"We have a great heritage of great buildings, great museums and
galleries and wonderful countryside but our national heritage
consists of more than those. It is also made up of thousands of local
places, customs and well-loved landmarks in every corner of the
country. The Local Heritage Initiative will help people to conserve,
to understand and celebrate what is important in every local place."

Nationwide, the world's largest building society, is contributing
more than #1 million over the first five years of the scheme.
Communications director, Jeremy del Strother, said:

"Nationwide has its own deep-rooted heritage and tradition of working
with and helping the communities from which it has grown over the
last 150 years. We recognise how important it is to keep local
history and traditions alive for current and future generations.
There are many valuable lessons we can learn from our past to help us
make the best of our future."

Ewen Cameron, chairman of the Countryside Agency, said:

"The success of our initial pilot projects, which worked well in
practice, means more money is now available to encourage more
communities to work together. The enthusiasm and efforts of local
people are paying off.

"We intend to help more than 3,000 projects nationwide during the
next ten years. There will be plenty of opportunity for people to get
together to plan future projects to enhance the spirit and
distinctive character of the place where they live. Initial
applications for grants must be in by mid-May but future applications
can be made each autumn when local communities are ready to undertake
the work."

The Countryside Agency initiative is designed to provide
cost-effective grants to encourage communities to take practical
action to care for their local heritage. The three main components to
the Local Heritage Initiative are for communities to assess their
local heritage, carry out community-led action, and gain support for
local organisations to ensure the sustainability of heritage action.

Local people can find out how to get the most out of the Local
Heritage Initiative by calling the LHI Information Line on 01226
719019. Full details of the grant scheme and application details,
together with advice from successful projects during this ten-year
initiative, are available on our website at www.lhi.org.uk

-ends-

Note to editors: Examples of successful pilot projects attached.

For further information or interviews contact:

A beta video containing interviews and film of some of the pilot
projects is available from Nationwide. Photographs of the launch are
available from the Countryside Agency.

The Local Heritage Initiative will run for ten years. The Heritage
Lottery Fund is providing #7,960,000 for the period 1999-2002 and
have agreed in principle, to continue funding the initiative for the
following seven years. The Countryside Agency administers the Local
Heritage Initiative in England on behalf of the Heritage Lottery Fund
who will make all funding decisions using pre-agreed criteria. The
initiative covers people in England and there are plans to develop
similar schemes for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The Countryside Agency is responsible for advising government and
taking action on issues relating to the social, economic and
environmental well-being of the English countryside.

The Heritage Lottery Fund provides financial support for the
protection and enhancement of our heritage, of local, regional or
national importance, to improve the quality of life of communties
throughout the United Kingdom. So far, 3,170 grants have been
awarded, with a combined value of #1.4 billion.

Nationwide, the world's largest building society, has around eight
million members and it is estimated around one in three households in
the UK have a financial relationship with them. The Society
celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1998. Nationwide has a strong
history of helping community projects and is firmly committed to
supporting the communities from which it has grown. Through
sponsorship, fundraising and other activities, Nationwide has
supported hundreds of events and initiatives across the country and
last year it gave over #2.7 million to both local and national
charities.

LOCAL HERITAGE INITIATIVE CASE STUDIES

Woodlands Community School, Harefield, Southampton
Students and teachers based in the urban fringe of Southampton have
investigated the heritage of the former Harefield Estate on which
their school and homes are built. Working with the local history
society, activities included site survey, oral history recording,
mapping data and producing a booklet to share what they found. Future
ideas include annotated then and now, signs at key sites and setting
up a Heritage Explorers Club at school.
Contact: John Smith, Southampton City Council, on 01703 833910

Maulds Meaburn, Cumbria
Faced with the conflicting interests of children playing, sheep
grazing, SSSI and nature conservation, car drivers and adjacent
residents, villagers got together to commission expert advice and
develop and action plan to save their village green for future
generations.
Contact: Susannah England, Countryside Agency, on 01768 865 752

Tow Law, Co Durham
19th century beehive coking ovens had fallen into disrepair before
the town council initiated a partnership of local people, Groundwork
and expert advisers to restore this part of their industrial heritage
and make it more accessible to local people.
Contact: Lorraine Weeks on 01434 674 672

Examples of potential activities which could be eligible for LHI
grants:

Natural heritage aspect
- restoring local streams for wildlife and access
- cleaning up reed beds

Built heritage features
- repairing and restoring small local features such as horse troughs
and milestones
- replacing features with locally distinctive work such as local
cobblestones

Archaeological heritage
- surveying local features and providing interpretation
- mapping out local heritage trails or researching local place names

Industrial heritage
- making industrial heritage sites safe for public access
- providing new uses for old features such as drove roads

Customs and traditions
- creating local commemorations of important people, places, events
and activities
- recording local history, traditions and customs
 Alex Hunt           Council for British Archaeology
 Bowes Morrell House, 111 Walmgate, York YO1 9WA, UK
 Tel: +44 (0)1904 671417     Fax: +44 (0)1904 671384
         http://www.britarch.ac.uk