Marketing to Schools

Ian Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:52:12 +0100

Hello,

Earlier this year I asked about school numbers. We had a number of responses
to the request for:

a) an overview of the last 3/4 years to visiting patterns of schools to
museums/ galleries/ heritage attractions; were numbers up, down, the same?
what were the major pressures & concerns of teachers ? how were travel costs
and curriculum pressures affecting visits ? As a result, NEMS and
Northumbria Tourist Board carried out a survey of 50 sites in the North East
of England this year. The analysis of this survey islmost complete and will
be available shortly in full on the NEMS website and the ntb website. I
shall also give a digest of the results on the GEM & Heritage mailbases
ASAP.

b) we also asked for ideas about attracting schools, to which several people
responded. We would like to add these ideas to the research document to give
people a number of potential ways forward for their site. Your ideas are
still very welcome, particularly where transport is concerned.

The following suggestions seem worthwhile, but I have not come across them
in our region. Can i ask you to consider these and let me know if you have
(or would) run similar schemes and whether they were/are successful.

Idea 1
The Museum Champion. This idea centres on personal contact with an
individual teacher in each school in your area. It would build on the
existing contacts you have with schools who regulalry visit & then spread to
infrequent or non-visiting schools. The scheme needs to be of benefit to
both the museum and the teacher/ school. As your 'Champion', a teacher in
each school agrees to receive museum mailshots direct to them, to act as the
museum's supporter within the school and to inform colleagues of your
activities. In return, your Champion receives a number of incentives, such
as free or reduced admission to your venue for them and their family,
invitations to previews, openings or special events, and a discount on
resources or in the shop or café. This scheme appears to be more successful
if the teacher is the Champion for a group of museums in the locality. As
such, the Champion receives information from a cluster of sites at regular
intervals, rather than being continually bombarded with information from all
quarters. This means the museums can market their services to schools more
effectively and, because the sites work together, it is more cost-efficient.

Idea 2
Children's Passes. As part of a school visit, each child receives a ticket,
voucher or credit-card pass which allows them free or reduced entry if they
visit with a friend or an adult (within a given time-period) outside of
school time. This scheme can be modified to suit the individual site, so for
example, if you are a non-charging venue, you could offer a reduction for
special events or in the shop, or the pass may only be valid on certain
days, say the school holidays.

Idea 3
Supermarket Loyalty Cards - ask your local branch of Tesco or Sainsbury's or
whatever to offer free admission to local sites as part of their loyality
card schemes. People get reduced admission to Alton Towers by swopping
points for vouchers, so why not do the same for the local museums?

bye
ian

Ian Blackwell
Audience Development Officer