Dear List Members,
News is delivered in a variety of formats on the web. The problem is
probably too much choice. Most major news services just post the current
day's news on their web sites. However, some specialized search engines are
indexing these services and building up their own searchable archives.
Below is a very incomplete list of various news options in the area of
forced migration and some references to more general news search engines and
1. Forced migration-related
AlertNet - http://www.alertnet.org
- Offers combination of Reuters news and reports from humanitarian relief
InterAction Newswire - http://www.interaction.pair.com/newswire
- Weekly news from InterAction members.
Migration News - http://migration.ucdavis.edu/mn/mntxt.html
- Monthly newsletter reporting on immigration and integration developments
worldwide; also available in e-mail format; searchable archive available.
Refugees Daily - http://www.unhcr.ch/news/media/daily.htm
- Summary of refugee-related news from the major news wires and services;
can be searched through Refugee NewsNet
(http://www.unhcr.ch/news/newswire/newswire.htm), along with other UNHCR
ReliefWeb - http://www.reliefweb.int
- Comprehensive repository of news and information on complex emergencies
and natural disasters; organized by country; reports can be sorted by date,
source, or format; searchable archive available.
Security Watch -
- Daily news summaries on conflict, peacekeeping, arms control, and other
security issues; searchable archive available.
Updates on World Conflicts -
- Summaries of conflict-related news from the major news wires and other
Weekly News - http://www.idpproject.org/weekly_news.htm
- Summaries of IDP-related news from the Global IDP Project.
2. News Directories and Search Engines
E-Revue - http://www.e-revue.com
- Search for current news in the French- or English-language press; offers
alerting service to inform you when news on a particular issue is available;
Net2one - http://www.netone.fr
- Offers news from French, Swedish, UK and U.S. press; searchable archive of
stories; also provides such personalized services as e-mail alerts when news
articles on keywords of your choice become available and customized profiles
of selected news sources.
NewsTrawler - http://www.newstrawler.com
- Allows you to search by country, category, or across countries; for the
latter, you can select various titles of country-specific news services that
you want to search, and then launch a query across them from one central
Online Newspapers - http://www.onlinenewspapers.com
- Straightforward directory that provides access to newspapers by country.
Consultant, Forced Migration Portal Project
Refugee Studies Centre, Univ. of Oxford
The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced-migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies
Centre (RSC), University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts
should include attribution to the original sources.
Forced-migration Discussion list reports are archived on: