RE: Roots of theories about designing

"Dr. Terence Love" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:31:34 +0800

text/plain

Dear Tim,

I'm going down much the same path and with similar assumptions- especially
about the ways that designing permeates human being and agency. Four
differences, however, come to mind.

The first is in the approach to foundations of theories about designing.  My
approach centres on critical epistemological analysis. The stating point is
to lay out all the approaches to defining and conceptualising designing and
to explore their characteristics, underlying assumptions, scope, bounds and
epistemological coherency. In short, the approach is to ask "what sort of
characteristics would be found in a useful and coherent foundation for
theories about designing and designs?". This approach also extends to
exploring how the choice of theoretical perspective and analyses shapes the
above critiques, and which theoretical perspectives are most useful.

The second relates to objects vs activities as a basis for theories about
designing. One of the problems in much of the literature on design theories
and philosophies written by designers is that everting is converted to
objects - I speculate that this is because many designers have become
relatively automated in this respect. (An analysis along the lines of 'if a
hammer is the only tool then everything is dressed like a nail'). There is a
sort of conversationally easy but epistemologically dodgy sequence that
underpins much of the dialogue on 'design'. It goes something like:

'A designer is someone who "designs"', therefore:
'"Design" is something that a designer does', therefore:
'"Design" creates products'

This then leads to epistemologically unjustified/faulty phrases such as
'this product needs more design' or 'the last few years have seen
improvements to design' - uses that problematically treat 'design' as an
object in itself with its own properties and agency.

The third (although I suspect we agree very deeply on this) is that there is
a gap, a missing facet of theories of being and action, into which fits the
essence of designing stripped of its associated activities. My take on this
is to regard designing as the core activity of addressing non-routine
situations.

The fourth is in relation to knowledge. I also find Newell's 'knowledge
level' useful. The difference between our perspectives is between 'knowledge
as object' and 'knowledge as an a human activity/state'. Your model utilises
'knowledge as a capacity or potential for rational action' (an object). My
approach takes knowledge as a dynamically evolving activity existing in a
uniquely individualised  biological process that includes reflexively
related cognitive and feeling sub-processes. In other words, knowledge is
distinct from data and information in that it is what happens inside a
person - ie it is from then on in the realms of physio-neuro-psychological
and other biologically-based phenomena - rather than theoretical objects. In
Popper's terms it has moved from the theoretical to the subjective worlds.
In other ways, it is close to the underlying tenets of a cybernetic "humans
interacting with machines" approach.

The biological activity-based approach offers many advantages and its
potential problems (mainly naive biological determinism) are easily avoided.
What is emerging in this area is a wide range of bits of theory from lots of
different disciplines that no one has yet put together definitively but are
all pointing in a similar direction - away from a neurones/synapses, wiring
and computerbased model of cognition.

Wishing you all the best

Best wishes,

Terry

Dr. Terence Love
Associate Director
We-B Research Centre
School of Management Information Systems
Edith Cowan University
Churchlands, Western Australia 6018
[log in to unmask]   +61 (0)8 9273 8682