RE: " Librarian's salaries "

Ian Gordon <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 May 2000 07:59:13 +0600

>From across the pond ... looking at this issue from a North American
academic perspective, librarians are increasingly joining faculty unions
and negotiating working conditions, benefits and salaries within the same
agreement. This has a dual purpose. Librarians belong to a larger
bargaining unit and are seen as academics and not support staff; It has
given librarians the need to be accountable to the entire academic
community and thus act in a nominal role worthy of tenured faculty.

Librarians in many North American universities are paid very well from an
entry level position, increasing through the ranks based on merit and
length of service.

Ian Gordon