Help for DISABILITY-AND-SPIRITUALITY Archives

DISABILITY-AND-SPIRITUALITY Archives

DISABILITY-AND-SPIRITUALITY Archives

DISABILITY-AND-SPIRITUALITY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-AND-SPIRITUALITY Home

DISABILITY-AND-SPIRITUALITY Home

DISABILITY-AND-SPIRITUALITY  2000

DISABILITY-AND-SPIRITUALITY 2000

Re: Are there disabilities in heaven?

"J. Eric Pridmore" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:41:52 -0400

I agree that it is important to understand disabilities as being a part of
heaven or whatever you might call it.  I think this is important issue for
all the reasons stated.  However, my difficulty comes in when trying to
carry this point out to it's logical extremes -- what about the person with
the most devastating, debilitating, painful disease; what about the person
who has a small chin or the like (something more about self-perception than
anyting else)?  And at what point in your life will you experience heaven?
For me, my disability has been physically/medically different at different
times in my life.  What about age and age-related disability?  And what do
we do/say about those folks who sincerely say that they want to be rid of
their impairment both in this life and in the next?  Are they simply
unaware of the socially/culturally constructed nature of disability?  Do
they need enlightenment?  I'm not trying to argue the point or say that it
is theortically and theologically unimportant.  Our eschatological
arguments and statements about disability are crucial.  However, I am
trying to figure out just how this eschatological issue plays itself out.

All the best,
Eric
J. Eric Pridmore