DRS_NEWS October 2000

David Durling <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 01 Oct 2000 08:42:40 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

  DRS_NEWS                                       ::
                                                 ::
  The digital newsletter                     :::::: :: ::: ::::
  of the                                    ::   :: :::   ::
  Design Research Society                  ::    :: ::      :::
                                            ::   :: ::        ::
  Volume 5, Number 10, October 2000          :::::: ::    :::::

CONTENTS

o   Editor's space

o   Brian Allison

o   Design Studies - The Philosophy of Design

o   Re-inventing Design Education Conference

o   Calls for Papers

o   Announcements

o   Cyber News

o   The Design Research Society: information

o   Electronic Services of the DRS

o   Contributing to DRS_NEWS

Professor Brian Allison

It is with great regret that we announce the death of Brian
Allison.  He was one of the DRS's long-standing members and was,
until his recent retirement through ill health, an active member
of Council.  Additionally, he was a past president of the
National Society for Education in Art and Design (NSEAD), and of
the International Society for Education through Art (INSEA).

Brian was one of the best known figures in art education in the
UK and overseas, and was known as a passionate advocate for
research in the field.  He is perhaps best known for the
development of the UK national Art and Design research database
the ARIAD (Allison Research Index of Art and Design).

The ARIAD remains the single national database for research in
art and design, and has been produced with support from the
major bodies associated with art and design in the United
Kingdom, including the DRS. The ARIAD made a significant
contribution to the development of a research culture in art and
design in the UK and raised awareness of the importance of
approaching research with a professional attitude.  It has been
released recently as a website, and it is to be hoped that it
will continue to be developed.

Brian was the first Professor appointed by the former Leicester
Polytechnic (now De Montfort University) in 1975. He was
Professor of Art Education and had an international reputation
for his research in art & design.  He retired from Leicester
Polytechnic in 1988.

As Emeritus Professor he maintained his research interests in
Education, Art and Design, Research Methods, and Research
Databases.  He also continued to assist the University in its
development of research and the care of postgraduate students,
not least as a PhD supervisor and examiner.

Retirement did not seem to slow him down, and he continued to
deliver papers and attend major design conferences around the
world.  He had numerous publications including articles, book
chapters, and conference papers on curriculum, research and
multicultural education, and recently 'The Student's Guide to
Preparing Dissertations and Theses' (London: Kogan Page, 1996).

Brian's colleague Alec Robertson said of him:

"Brian's enthusiasm for creating a research culture in Art and
Design at De Montfort was a guiding light for people here over
many years. His role in the University Research Degrees
Committee was particularly valued. He championed the evolution
of Research Degree Regulations in the University for the benefit
of Art & Design, and others. His standards were very high in the
established research ethos yet he had an open mind to change.
Brian made a significant contribution to the foundation of art &
design education at doctorate level.  He will  be remembered by
me for his enthusiasm, vitality and particularly for his support
at DRS events held at De Montfort University over the years. He
will be sadly missed."

A Service of Thanksgiving is to be held on Saturday, 14 October
at 11am in St Mary de Castro Church, Castle Street, Leicester.

CALL FOR PAPERS:
SPECIAL ISSUE OF DESIGN STUDIES, ON THE PHILOSOPHY OF DESIGN

Deadline: March 15th, 2001.

Original papers on the philosophy of design are solicited for
review and possible publication in a special issue of Design
Studies.

The subject

During the two decades in which Design Studies has been
published, only a handful of papers have appeared in the journal
explicitly and primarily addressing philosophical issues of
design [refs. 1-14 below]. (Subsuming 'the logic of design'
[ref. 15] under this heading, another handful may be added
[16-21].) Yet presumably philosophical analysis is just as
important a source of insight into the nature of design as other
kinds of inquiry more frequently employed. It is hoped that a
special issue on the philosophy of design will draw enough
attention to the subject to establish it more firmly as a field
of research: a fruitful common ground to be cultivated by design
researchers and philosophers alike.

No prolonged search is needed to find philosophical literature
on such topics as the philosophy of science and the philosophy
of technology. In recent years, a few philosophers have taken an
interest in the nature of artefacts (in their own right [22-25],
or considered in broader contexts [26, 27]), but for no evident
reason the philosophy of design has been largely ignored as a
subject of focused study. Exceptions do exist, to be sure, also
outside the pages of Design Studies [28-39], but interesting
discussions of design-related issues are often intertwined with
other lines of philosophical thought [40-43]. It is encouraging,
however, that outside established philosophical circles an
awareness of philosophical aspects of design has begun to emerge
quite recently [44].

Though no doubt the list of publications referred to above is
incomplete, it is obvious that philosophical literature on
design is extremely rare and scattered. Whatever the reason may
be, it cannot be a lack of exposure to the effects of design. We
see design reflected in countless artefacts with which we
furnish and sustain our environment and even our bodies; no
doubt design shapes our lives just as much as science and
technology - or even more so. Design may be seen, presumably, as
significantly depending on technological and scientific
knowledge, but can hardly be fully understood in terms of
science and technology alone. Developing a satisfactory
understanding of the nature and workings of design itself
clearly calls for serious philosophical work.

Problems which might be addressed by contributors to our special
issue include but are not limited to the following examples:

1. What distinguishes design (architectural, engineering,
software, etc.) from other intellectual endeavours, such as
science or technology?

2. How are the concepts of design and artefact related? For
example, are they definable in terms of each other? Is it a
necessary, a sufficient, or necessary and sufficient, condition
for something to be an artefact that it was designed; can there
be artefacts without design?

3. Whatever the answer to the latter question may be, it seems
clear that there is always design without artefacts, for at the
time a given artefact was designed, it had not yet been
constructed. Yet designers talk about what they design as if
there were artefacts for them to talk about. How is that to be
explained? Are statements of design discourse true, false, or
even meaningful? If so, what makes them so? If not, what purpose
could design discourse possibly serve?

4. What ontological and epistemological assumptions should be
made to explain the apparent fact that designers can know or
predict the properties of an artefact which is not there to have
properties?

5. Taking universals to be whatever can be predicated of things,
design might be viewed as the selection (or creation?) of one or
more universals to be predicated of some future artefact. Taking
this as an initial step towards theorising about design, it must
be expected that the traditional distinction between nominalist,
conceptualist, and realist theories of universals carries over
to theories of design. What would design theories of the three
types be like, and what would be their relative strengths and
weaknesses?

6. What are the relations between philosophy of design and
philosophy at large? For example, considering the central
problems of the philosophy of design (whatever they may be,
apart perhaps from defining 'design'), are they special cases of
familiar philosophical problems, or are they new? No doubt the
philosophy of design can draw on insights from other fields of
philosophy. Can it also offer them new insights?

7. Can results from the philosophy of design be put to use in
design practice - for example, by leading us towards better
artefacts, better design methods, better ways of utilising
computers in design?

The journal, its readers and style

Design Studies is a cross-disciplinary scholarly journal for
design research in engineering, architecture, products and
systems. The journal is peer reviewed, and is published by
Elsevier in co-operation with the Design Research Society.
Submissions should follow the instructions given at the end of
each issue ('Notes for authors'). The length of papers normally
range from 3000 to 6000 words, plus illustrations. Contributors
to the special issue on the philosophy of design are kindly
requested to take the following guidelines into account, too.

Readers of Design Studies must be expected to represent a
variety of academic disciplines of research and teaching, as
well as professional design practice, but all of them can be
assumed to share an interest in serious research and
theory-building about design. Ideally, any published paper on
the philosophy of design should be worth reading for
professional philosophers, yet be accessible to motivated
non-philosophers. Unexplained reference to the numerous
philosophical '-isms' should therefore be kept to a minimum, and
'technical' notation or style of exposition should be used only
to the extent necessitated by the subject matter. Care should be
taken to make the meaning of special terminology clear from
context, or from brief explanatory notes.

An adequate degree of precision must be maintained, but the
occasional use of illustrative examples is encouraged to ease an
otherwise overwhelming weight of abstraction. Familiarity with
the work of distinguished philosophers cannot be assumed to the
same degree as in papers for purely philosophical journals. For
example, adjectives like 'Fregean' and 'Quinean' may be used,
but preferably with explicit reference to the relevant works by
Frege and Quine, or to the relevant ideas originating from them.
Likewise, vague implicit references like 'many philosophers' or
'most contemporary physicalists' should be avoided or
supplemented by (representative) references.

Submission

Manuscripts intended for the special issue should be submitted
no later than March 15th, 2001. No electronic submission is
requested until a paper has been accepted and possibly revised.
For the initial submission, please send four copies on paper to
the editor of the special issue:

Per Galle Department of Planning, Technical University of
Denmark, Building 116, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark e-mail:

http://ifp.dtu.dk/~it/pergalle/