a reply to cris

"K.M. Sutherland" <[log in to unmask]>

K.M. Sutherland

Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:01:21 +0000 (GMT)

TEXT/PLAIN

Cris thanks for your thoughtful and smart post, which does elaborate
compellingly your position.  I do wonder though whether it -enlarges- that
position, which seems still to locate historic value only at moments of
miscegenation and cross-class reciprocal productivity, and never (as my
envisaged 'dialectic' should require) at moments of more exclusive,
rigidified and antidemocratic class-history.  I say it would require this,
not because I -admire- the support-structure for e.g. the myth of 1762
that a gentleman wrote satire like Horace and not like Juvenal
(particularly a good -whig- gentleman), or the myth of 2000 that Tony
Morrison is more 'literary' than Chuck D.  I do not admire them.  But I do
feel that unless we understand, locate and describe the real socially
constitutive -value- of those myths, we are trapped still in a process of
mythography that, whilst currently more palatable and even provocative for
good artists, seeks no less exclusively to comprise a politics of
theoretic art-underlay which dismisses the possibility of 'totality' out
of hand.  By which I mean, that the rejection of totality is not truly
negative; its opposite -- the concept of a mercurial meaning-nexus in
which all the world participates yet by which all the world is not defined
-- is accepted too fervently.  The rejection of totality seems merely a
corollary, where really it ought to be the foundation and secured outset
for any view of the world as termlessly partial.  So that when you answer
my question about the -usefulness- of having a high/low split, you do so
by pointing to instances where that split has deteriorated or been
bridged, the site of generous and corrective reconciliation.  I don't deny
the generosity of those instances, nor their beauty; I question how fully
we can understand and appreciate them, without simultaneously
comprehending that e.g. Gray wouldn't have written the poems he did had he
not had firmly in his mind the idea of a division of labour (also a
division of leisure) in the world of literary output, and that Wordsworth
wouldn't have stepped away with such assurance into the 'language of men'
and pseudo-democratic aesthetic theory, had he not had examples like
Gray's to revolt against.  Both are valuable, both constitutive.  You say,
quite rightly, that anyone who is limited to supporting one or the other
'category' has only a thin view of their relation.  What I want to add to
this, is that anyone who can't apprehend the contrary and exclusive,
anti-miscegenatory position, and the -value- of that position to processes
of art-production, has a view similarly thinned.  Some artists become
great artists by being bigots and chauvinists, even by damning to hell and
labelling 'criminal' any artist too sloppy to perceive that art is a grand
and transcendent mission for humanity and in every sense exclusively
'high', everything less being mere milkshakes and eyewash.  We have grown
from -their- legacy too; we must comprehend the value of their work and of
their divisive attitudes, if we want with acuity also to comprehend how
now we prefer freedom, liberal exchange, boundarylessness, and the
evidence of sublated democratic politics.