BRITISH-IRISH-POETS  2000

BRITISH-IRISH-POETS 2000

Re: An amazing letter from Australia

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:12:18 -0500

Thanks, Tom, for interrogating this dubious "character"! My own
suspicion is that if "Mr. O" has e-mail, it will prove to be
@hotmail or some such site-of-origin obscuring e-address. The
poem was done rather too broadly to be convincing or amusing to
me, at least (tho' I did enjoy the "Dick Tranter" bit and the
sloppiness of the reversed initials in the faux copyright notice).

Where the joke goes sour (if joke it is) and becomes something
rather more distasteful (especially if joke it's not) is in the
last (thank god) of those quizzes, the tediousness of which had
long since killed my interest in the topic, unfortunately, because
the topic is potentially interesting. Maybe if a real discussion
had emerged from the performance art (using the term loosely),
and thanks to all those who tried to get one going.

The use to which Kent put "Mr. O" in this final "exam," though,
regardless of his status qua being-in-the-world, was so class-
value-loaded it wasn't, er, funny. What it revealed about Kent's
tastes, however, was a bit more amusing on a cinematic level. The
last time I saw an Elvis-on-velvet as part of any "interior design"
was in the film version of _The Commitments_, where it hung next
to another notoriously lowbrow bit of (Catholic) iconography, the
Sacred Heart, on the wall of an honest-ta-god working-class home
in which nobody was drinking cocktails.

What struck me as hilarious (the relativity of tastes and values
being the point here) was Kent's placing Julian Schnabel at the
high-cultural pole, diametrically opposed to the real or contrived
poet (i.e., person), "Mr. O" and his presumably to be inferred mass-
cultural tastes. Crikey, Kent--and people thought _Schnabel_ was
"cheap"! (No offense, though, if _Basquiat_'s your favorite movie.)

And thanks to Mark Weiss for his _Messiah_ post, on all the opposite
grounds--

Candice