Role: Trainer (GIS Specialisation)
Location: Southampton, UK
Start date: ASAP
Reporting to: GRID3 Training Lead and Implementation Director
Salary: £28,000 to £34,000 depending on experience
Flowminder is a unique, startup-like non-profit that develops advanced technological solutions to address development and humanitarian problems. Our work is an exciting blend of data analytics, software development, academic research, and international development, that takes place in a dynamic and highly collaborative environment.
The Flowminder Foundation (www.flowminder.org) working with the WorldPop programme (www.worldpop.org) seeks to hire a Trainer to develop and contribute to delivery of the Geo-Referenced Infrastructure and Demographic Data for Development (GRID3) programme. The programme includes a significant component of capacity building and training in GIS and spatial statistics (and other related topics) in a number of low-income countries around the world. The work will be foundational to a collaborative programme with partners at national statistics offices, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, DFID, CIESIN and UNFPA, and will be used to build analytic and mapping capacity in various stakeholder institutions including national statistical offices. Ultimately the training is enabling participants to plan and execute a range of high-impact projects ranging from population enumeration to delivery of health programs and alleviation of poverty. As well as joining the vibrant and well-connected Flowminder and WorldPop teams, the right candidate will have opportunities to contribute to high-impact publications.
The successful candidate will:
• Lead the delivery of workshops aimed at training outside staff (i.e. at national statistics offices, international agencies) in GIS and related geospatial methodologies developed by GRID3 scientific staff
• Work closely with the Training Lead to develop training approaches around the creation and use of high-resolution gridded estimates of population counts and demographic characteristics
• Produce and maintain course materials, in collaboration with GRID3 scientists and technicians
• Liaise with national statistical offices throughout the project cycle, from inception to training delivery and post-course support (i.e. coordinate training needs assessments, correspond throughout the development of training material to ensure requirements are met)
• Liaise with GRID3 training support and administrative staff with regard to training events, to coordinate material production and logistical arrangements
• Work closely with the Training Lead, GRID3 research team, and the implementation team to develop in-house training capacity such as workshop delivery
• Support the Training Lead staff member on updating training materials and tailoring these to each country in which we deliver bespoke training courses
• Support the design and roll-out of the new Learning Management System for GRID3
• Support the programme’s training component with any other tasks as required
We are looking for:
• A genuine interest in, and willingness to further understand, the mission and operations of Flowminder and GRID3
• Evidence of successful experience of designing and delivering training, ideally in GIS analysis and/or statistical analysis and/or demography
• Postgraduate qualifications in a statistical/computational/quantitative discipline, or relevant industry experience. The project work will be highly interdisciplinary, so there is some flexibility to accommodate expertise from a range of cognate disciplinary backgrounds (e.g. geography, demography, statistics, computer science, ecology, epidemiology etc).
• A willingness to travel overseas
• Previous experience liaising with or working in government administrations, and/or NGOs is an advantage
How to apply
Deadline for applications: 25th January 2019
Interviews are expected to take place in Southampton.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and CV as a single .pdf file, with the file name containing your last name. In your cover letter, please provide an explanation of how your previous experience relates to the responsibilities outlined in the job advert. Please also include your eligibility to work in the UK and your expected availability to start.
Please submit your single pdf file by email to [log in to unmask]
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Please note that we will not be accepting applications from recruitment agencies.
Flowminder is an award-winning, non-profit organisation funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, DFID, EU, World Bank, IDB, WFP, UN Foundation and others.
Flowminder’s mission is to improve public health and welfare in low- and middle-income countries using data from mobile operators, satellites and geo-located household surveys.
Flowminder has pioneered a number of new approaches and tools, including the use of mobile operator data, to address development and humanitarian challenges. Much of its work is focused on understanding, monitoring and predicting the distributions, characteristics and dynamics of human populations, providing insights, tools and capacity building to governments, international agencies and NGOs.
Flowminder works to ensure that everyone, especially the most vulnerable, count.
To unsubscribe or modify your gis-jobs settings, please visit: