Lead Software Developer
Location: Cambridge, UK
Salary: Negotiable, depending on skills & experience
1Spatial have opportunities for Lead Software Developer to join their UK development team. Are you seeking a change or searching for a new challenge?
You will be joining an expanding team working on the core technology of the company’s products. The role will involve all phases of software development including analysis, design, implementation and testing of a broad spectrum of development requirements. You will be working on our suite of geospatial solutions from front-end web/mobile to complex back-end data manipulation whilst ensuring our team continues to deliver best of breed software solutions.
We are looking for people to redraw the map for 1Spatial and our customers. The ideal candidate for this job is someone with real passion for design and code, someone who can combine simplicity and maintainability in their code and most important someone who can be an inspiring part of our senior team. If you are willing to learn, willing to share and willing to challenge, then this is the role for you.
You will be responsible for:
• Developing extensible system architectures that meet functional and non-functional requirements
• Achieving balance between quality, scope, time and costs with other stakeholders
• Leading and mentoring development teams in architecture design and implementation
• Remaining abreast of current trends in technology and process to promote high quality solutions and reduce operational costs
• Recognising the potential of novel technologies and standards and driving their adoption
• Leading development process improvements and defining programming standards at 1Spatial
Required Skills and Experience:
• Proven ability to contribute to our architecture and designs
• Knowledge and experience of design and development of Java EE technology solutions
• Experience in continuous integration and delivery practices.
• Contribute to team values Approachable, Agile, Innovative, Smart
• Self-motivated team player with strong problem solving and communication skills
• Proven troubleshooting and debugging skills using standard tooling (e.g. VisualVM, MAT, jps, jstack, jstat etc.)
• Passionate about continuous improvement
• Genuine and proven interest in technology
• Experience in source management and build automation tooling (e.g. Maven or
• Agile Software Development experience (Scrum or Kanban)
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Curiosity in evaluating and advocating new technology
• Be a craftsman with great OO thinking
• Experience of manipulating complex data
• Experience developing SOAP and REST APIs
• Experience with continuous integration servers (Jenkins/Hudson or TeamCity)
• Database experience (Oracle, Postgres or Microsoft SQL Server)
• Experience with web front-end development (AngularJS, Angular or DOJO)
• Experience in GIS or geometry manipulation
• Familiarity with Java EE application servers (JBoss/WildFly or Oracle WebLogic)
• Familiarity with Docker
• Familiarity with configuration management tools (Puppet or Ansible)
• Familiarity with both Windows and Linux
What we can offer
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary along with:
• Flexible working hours
• 25 days annual leave, plus recognition for long service
• Generous Company Pension Scheme
• Group Income Protection Scheme
• Private Health Insurance and Health Cash Plan
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Child Care Vouchers Scheme
• Weekly hours of 37.5 per week, Monday to Friday
• Work base in Cambridge
• Social programme including monthly social gatherings and summer/Christmas
• Free car parking
• Refreshments including soft drinks and fruit
If you would like further information about 1Spatial or the position, please contact our HR
If you require further information or would like an informal chat about the role, please contact
[log in to unmask] and we will arrange for you to speak with the hiring manager.
Whilst we look forward to receiving your covering letter and CV via
[log in to unmask], we would ask that you read our privacy notice specifically for
applicants so you can be confident of how we will store, manage and process the data you
provide to us.
We do require that all candidates are able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK.
1Spatial is a leading provider of intelligent solutions for organisations worldwide that need to
trust their location-based information. We are a global business and have offices in
Cambridge (UK), France, Australia, America, Ireland and Belgium. 1Spatial has been a
leader in the geospatial market for over 40 years and this success is down to talented and
great people. We are in an exciting period of growth for the business.
To unsubscribe or modify your gis-jobs settings, please visit: