Help for FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FORCED-MIGRATION Home

FORCED-MIGRATION  February 2017

FORCED-MIGRATION February 2017

General: Translators sought for 13 poems for 'Journeys in Translation'

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Feb 2017 15:47:33 +0000

Journeys in Translation seeks translators for 13 poems

Journeys in Translation is looking for people to translate 13 poems from Over Land, Over Sea: Poems for those seeking refuge (Five Leaves Publications, 2015) from English into other languages.

Anyone interested can join the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/316952552020172/ or contact one of the organisers.

We encourage those who would like to take part in the project to translate, in whole or in part, as many of the 13 poems as they would like to and share their translations and reflections on translating through their blogs and on social media.

If translators cannot get to Leicester for the Journeys in Translation event that will be held in the city on 30 September 2017, they can organise a similar event in their locality and let us know how the event goes.

We are open to working with people everywhere. Currently we have people who are working on the translations in England, Sweden and Zimbabwe.

We have had offers to translate poems into Arabic, French, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Shona, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, British Sign Language and Yoruba. We welcome more languages.

Journeys in Translation builds on the success of the Journeys Pop-up Poem Library which saw poets give out postcards featuring poems from Over Land, Over Sea at Leicester Railway Station during Everybody's Reading 2016.

In total 800 postcards were given out to encourage commuters to read, reflect and talk about current and historical journeys taken by people seeking refuge.

We are now looking at translating the poems to give them as wide an audience as possible and to encourage reflection, across cultures, on the themes the poems explore.

In Leicester, Journeys in Translation will culminate in an event that is will be held on 30 September as part of the 2017 Everybody’s Reading festival. During the event, the original poems and their translations will be read, and there will be discussions around the poems and the experiences people had translating the poems into other languages.

Over Land, Over Sea: Poems for those seeking refuge was edited by Kathleen Bell, Emma Lee and Siobhan Logan. It was published by Five Leaves Publications and is being sold to raise funds for Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), Leicester City of Sanctuary and the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Refugee Forum.

Copies of the anthology are available from Five Leaves Bookshop (Nottingham): http://fiveleavesbookshop.co.uk/over-land-over-sea/

Organiser: Ambrose Musiyiwa ( [log in to unmask] )
Co-organiser: Emma Lee

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/research-resources/discussion/forced-migration-discussion-list-posting-guidelines