FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FORCED-MIGRATION Home

FORCED-MIGRATION  May 2012

FORCED-MIGRATION May 2012

Call for proposals: RSC Conference

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 May 2012 15:57:54 +0000

Dear all,

Amy Nethery at Deakin and I are putting together a panel proposal for the Refugee Studies Centre 30th Anniversary Conference in Oxford from 6 - 7 December 2012.

Please take a look at our proposal and get in touch with Amy or me if you are interested.

With best wishes,
Stephanie

Beyond the Camp:  New Ways of Thinking about Immigration Detention

Panel proposal for the Refugee Studies Centre 30th Anniversary Conference,  6-7 December 2012, Oxford

Conveners:  Stephanie  J. Silverman  (COMPAS, Oxford)   and  Amy Nethery (Centre for Citizenship and Globalisation, Deakin)

Over  the  past  decade  immigration  detention  has  been  adopted  by  many  countries,  to  the  extent  that  we  now  see  a  global  network  of  detention  centres.  Immigration  detention  affects  the  journeys asylum   seekers  make,  their  safety  on  this journey,  and  ultimately  their  ability  to  gain  effective  protection.  By   shaping  refugee  flows,  immigration  detention  also  affects  bilateral  and  regional  relationships  between   countries  through  which  asylum  seekers  pass  and  reside  on  their  way  to  gaining  protection.  Theories   on   the   political   and   cultural   significations   of   detention   are   emerging   from   disciplines   as   diverse   as   anthropology,   architecture,   criminology,   geography,   law,   philosophy,   political  theory,  psychology,  refugee  studies,  sociology,  and  urban  studies.

Building   on   the   important   work   produced   by   this   cross-­‐disciplinary,   multi-­‐national   scholarly   community,  we  propose  to  bring  together  a  diverse  panel  of  experts  to  provide  new  and  innovative   insights  into  the  global  politics  of  detention  policy.    Potential  themes  include:

• The  impact  of  immigration  detention  on  asylum  journeys
• The  new  cordon  sanitaire?  Detention  as  containment  or  warehousing
• Decisions   and   processes   of   countries   adopting   detention   policy   and   the   influence   of   other  countries  on  this  process,  whether  by  lesson-­sharing  or  coercion
• Bilateral  or  regional  detention  policy  sharing  arrangements  and  their  outcomes
• The   role   of   corporations   and   firms   in   stimulating   detention   policy,   practice,   and   outcomes
• Governments’  use  of  detention  to  thwart  or  disqualify  refugee  claim-­making
• Dynamic  North-South  trends,  particularly  in  countries  that  either  straddle  this  divide  or   influence  players  on  either  side
• The  links  between  smuggling  discourses,  refugee  agency,  and  detention
• Detention  as  a  strategy  to  destabilize  undocumented  or  refugee  communities
• Global  or  national  resistance  to  detention:  within  and  outside  the  detention  centre,  in   the  courts,  on  the  page,  and  on  the  streets

Please submit a 300-word proposal with a listing of up to 5 keywords to describe your proposed presentation to:

Stephanie  Silverman:  [log in to unmask]
Amy  Nethery:  [log in to unmask]

Our internal deadline is 1 June 2012

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by Forced Migration
Online, Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International
Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or
extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/research-resources/discussion/forced-migration-discussion-list-posting-guidelines