Help for FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FORCED-MIGRATION Home

FORCED-MIGRATION  January 2018

FORCED-MIGRATION January 2018

Events: REMINDER - Queen Mary Annual Lecture in Migration Law - 22 January 2018 | 6h30 PM

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Jan 2018 15:13:33 +0000

Dear all,

Just a quick reminder of our forthcoming Annual Lecture in Migration Law, to be delivered on 22 January 2018, from 6h30 PM, by Prof Vincent Chetail at Queen Mary (see details below).

There are still spaces available. Please, register via the event website: http://www.law.qmul.ac.uk/events/items/annual-lecture-in-migration-law-with-professor-vincent-chetail.html

Thanks again for letting your students and other contacts know!

Looking forward to seeing you there,

Violeta

ANNUAL LECTURE IN MIGRATION LAW

by Professor Vincent Chetail (GIIDS Geneva)

Queen Mary LLM Programme in Immigration Law

Monday, 22 January 2018
Time: 18:30 – 20:30

Venue: Room 3.1, Centre for Commercial Law Studies (CCLS), Queen Mary University of London, 67-69 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3JB

The UN Global Compact on Migration: What Role for International Law?

On 19 September 2016, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants that sets in motion a complex negotiation process to elaborate by September 2018 the “Global Compact on Safe Orderly and Regular Migration”. The Global Compact on Migration seeks to lay out a range of principles, commitments and understandings among UN Member States regarding the global governance and coordination on migration. This ambitious undertaking represents both an opportunity and a challenge for international law that will be discussed at the Annual Lecture in Migration Law. Prof. Vincent Chetail will present the basic tenets of International Migration Law, as well as their potential and limits to frame the Global Compact on Migration.

About the speaker

Vincent Chetail is Director of the Global Migration Centre and Professor of International Law at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (Geneva). He is a leading expert on migration, a field in which he has published 16 books and over 50 articles and reports. He is Editor-in-Chief of the Refugee Survey Quarterly (OUP) and has supervised 20 research projects on migration. He regularly serves as a consultant to governments, NGOs and international organizations. He has for instance collaborated with UN agencies on many aspects of migration as well as with the African Union in drafting the Protocol on the free movement of persons and the Protocol on the right to nationality in Africa.

>> This event will be followed by a drinks reception to which all attendees are invited

>> Registration is free but necessary for organisational and catering purposes

REGISTER AT: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/annual-lecture-in-migration-law-tickets-41993188758

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/research-resources/discussion/forced-migration-discussion-list-posting-guidelines