Help for FONETIKS Archives

FONETIKS Archives

FONETIKS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FONETIKS Home

FONETIKS  June 2018

FONETIKS June 2018

Monthly newsletter: NOTE some early closing dates

Linda Shockey <[log in to unmask]>

Linda Shockey <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:37:32 +0000

  foNETiks

  A newsletter for
  The International Phonetic Association
  and for the Phonetic Sciences

Linda Shockey, University of Reading, UK
Rachel Smith, University of Glasgow, UK
Radek Swiecinski, Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
Claire Timmins, University of Strathclyde, UK
Duncan Robertson, University of York, UK

E-mail address: fonetiks-request AT jiscmail.ac.uk<http://jiscmail.ac.uk> The foNETiks archive can be found on the WWW at: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/fonetiks.html

Twitter:  AT foNETiks_list

Visit the IPA web page at http://www.internationalphoneticassociation.org

  ANNOUNCEMENTS

  [new ones marked ##, normally with further information below]

  [date of first appearance follows]

foNETiks is now on Twitter! Follow us  AT foNETiks_list

The Association is pleased to announce that Illustrations of the IPA from 2001 through 2015 are now freely available from the Journal of the IPA website:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-the-international-phonetic-association

Click on "Illustrations of the IPA - free content" to see a list, or access individual Illustrations from contents of back issues. (03/18)

23 June 2018. New Developments in Speech Sensing and Imaging. Lisbon, Portugal. http://labphon16.labphon.org/se-04.html (01/18)

23 June 2018. The Role of Predictability in Shaping Sound Systems. Lisbon, Portugal. http://labphon16.labphon.org/se-05.html (01/18)

23 June 2018. Representing Phonotactics. Lisbon, Portugal. http://labphon16.labphon.org/se-03.html (01/18)

25-25th June 2018. UK Speech, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland. http://kalman.mee.tcd.ie/ukspeech2018 (04/18)

27-29 June 2018. RFP 2018 - 16th annual conference of the French Phonology Network. Paris, France. http://www.sfl.cnrs.fr/rfp-2018 (01/18)

29-30 June 2018. 7th International Conference on Phonology and Morphology. Seoul, South Korea. http://sites.google.com/view/icpm7 (03/18)

2-6 July 2018. Spoken Corpora advances: prosody as the crux of speech segmentation, annotation and multilevel linguistic studies. Cape Town, South Africa. http://icl20capetown.com/images/WorkshopSummaries/31.-Spoken-Corpora-advances.pdf (07/17)

2-6 July 2018. Bantu and Khoisan Lab Phonology (Workshop at ICL20). Cape Town, South Africa. http://bit.ly/icl20(01/18)

11-13 July 2018. Second International Conference "Prominence in Linguistics". Cologne, Germany. http://sfb1252.uni-koeln.de/prominenceconference2018.html (01/18)

29 July-1 August 2018. 27th Annual Conference of the International Association for Forensic Phonetics and Acoustics (IAFPA 2018). Huddersfield, UK. http://iafpa2018.wordpress.com(01/18)

2-5 August 2018. Germanic Society for Forensic Linguistics (GSFL2018). York, UK. http://germanicsocietyforensiclinguistics.org/ (02/18)

##27-30 August 2018. The Foot in the Phonological History of English. Edinburgh, UK. http://www.conferences.cahss.ed.ac.uk/icehl20/foot-phonological-history-english/ 6/18

29 August-2 September 2018. 14th ESSE Conference - Seminar 02: The Role of Distinctive Phonological Features in Language. Brno, Czech Republic. http://www.esse2018brno.org/(02/18)

2-6 September 2018. Interspeech 2018. Hyderabad, India. http://www.interspeech2018.org(02/18)

##6-7 September, 2018. Phonetik und Phonologie im deutschsprachigen Raum, Vienna, Austria. http://pundp2018.univie.ac.at (6/18)

6-8 September 2018. Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching (PSLLT). Iowa, USA. http://www.psllt.org (02/18)

7 September 2018. English in India and Indian Englishes: New Horizons in the Study of Phonetics and Phonology. Hyderabad, India. https://phinde1.wordpress.com (05/18)

19-21 September 2018. 2nd International Symposium on Applied Phonetics (ISAPh2018). Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima, Japan. http://onkyo.u-aizu.ac.jp/isaph2018/ (03/18)

##22 September 2018. Conference on typological limits of probabilistic phonological grammars, Stanford University. https://sites.google.com/site/analyzingtypologicalstructure  (6/18)

27-28 September 2018. Laughter Workshop 2018. ISIR, Sorbonne University, Paris, France.
http://pages.isir.upmc.fr/~pelachaud/site/LaughterWorkshop18.html (05/18)

5-7 October 2018. Annual Meeting on Phonology 2018. San Diego, CA, USA. http://phonology.ucsd.edu (03/18)

11-13 October 2018. International Conference on Tone and Intonation. Gothenburg, Sweden. http://sprak.gu.se/forskning/konferenser/tone-and-intonation (10/17)

11-13 October 2018. Experimental and Theoretical Advances in Prosody (ETAP) 4: Sociolectal and dialectal variability in prosody. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA. http://etap4.krisyu.org (03/18)

11-13 October 2018. Phonology and Phonetics: Their relations and demarcations. Kraków, Poland. http://www.sinfonija11.confer.uj.edu.pl/phon-session (03/18)

19-21 October 2018. 3rd Sound Systems of Latin America. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA. jkingston AT linguist.umass.edu<http://linguist.umass.edu> and emiliana.cr.cr<http://emiliana.cr.cr> AT gmail.com<http://gmail.com> (03/18)

26-28 October 2018. 5th NINJAL International Conference on Phonetics and Phonology (NINJAL ICPP). Tokyo, Japan. http://crosslinguistic-studies.ninjal.ac.jp/prosody/?page_id=587&lang=en (05/18)

14-15 November 2018. International Conference on Laboratory Phonetics and Phonology. Tehran, Iran. http://iclpp.alzahra.ac.ir/ (05/18)

29-30 November 2018. Workshop on the Processing of Prosody across Languages and Varieties. Wellington, NZ https://proslang.wordpress.com/ (12/17)

29th November - 1st December 2018. 12th Conference on Native and Non-native Accents of English, Lodz Poland http://filolog.uni.lodz.pl/accents/ (04/18)

##16 January, 2019. 16th Old World Conference on Phonology. Verona, Italy. : http://sites.hss.univr.it/ocp/ (6/18)

4-10 August 2019. XIXth International Congress of Phonetic Sciences. Melbourne, Australia. http://icphs2019.org/ (03/16)

*****************

CONFERENCES

*****************:

The Department of Linguistics at Stanford University and the Stanford Humanities Center will host a one-day workshop dedicated to exploring the typological limits of probabilistic phonological grammars. The workshop is partially funded by the France-Stanford Center for Interdisciplinary Studies as part of the project The Mathematics of Language Universals, Saturday September 22, 2018

A basic question in theoretical phonology is what a theory includes and what it excludes. A good theory should be flexible enough to closely fit the data at hand, but it should also have empirical typological content and exclude unnatural patterns. In terms of empirical fit modern phonological theories are ambitious and successful. In terms of typological content their predictions are often obscure and sometimes unknown.

The typological limits of phonological theories have been studied from various perspectives, which tools make it possible to explore the typological predictions of large and complex models that progressively approximate the empirical complexity of natural language phonology.

A major obstacle that stands in the way of progress is that typological analysis tools usually only apply to categorical models. While the typologies predicted by categorical phonology are usually finite, probabilistic frameworks generate an infinite family of different probability distributions.

We invite abstracts (1-2 pages, pdf) for a 30-minute talk, followed by a 15-minute discussion. We welcome submissions that address questions of the following type:

- What do probabilistic typologies look like?
- How can one effectively compute probabilistic typologies?
- Do probabilistic grammars overgenerate?
- How can one tell whether probabilistic typologies contain crazy grammars?
- How do Optimality Theory, Harmonic Grammar, and MaxEnt differ typologically?
- What is the relationship between learnability and overgeneration?
- Do learnability arguments trump tight typological predictions?

Abstracts should be emailed to anttila stanford.edu (Anttila) and magrigrg gmail.com (Magri)

Abstract submission deadline: June 25, 2018, 11:59pm PST

Notification of acceptance: July 9, 2018.

Our goal is to have a relatively small number of talks and plenty of time for informal interaction.

More information: https://sites.google.com/site/analyzingtypologicalstructure/
Organizers: Arto Anttila (Stanford) and Giorgio Magri (CNRS)

Phonetik und Phonologie im deutschsprachigen Raum  (P&P14)
http://pundp2018.univie.ac.at /

Liebe PhonetikerInnen und PhonologInnen,

die 14. Tagung „Phonetik und Phonologie im deutschsprachigen Raum“ (P&P14) findet am 6. und 7. September 2018 in Wien statt. Sie wird gemeinsam organisiert von der Universität Wien und dem Institut für Schallforschung der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften.

Wir freuen uns auf Beiträge aus allen Bereichen der Phonetik und Phonologie!

Abstracts für Vorträge und Poster können in deutscher oder englischer Sprache verfasst sein und sollten maximal eine DinA4-Seite lang sein. Nach der Konferenz können auf Basis der Beiträge 4-seitige Paper für den Online-Tagungsband eingereicht werden.

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=pp2018

Für weitere Informationen besuchen Sie http://pundp2018.univie.ac.at/call-for-papers/ .

The Foot in the Phonological History of English
27- 30-Aug-2018, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
http://www.conferences.cahss.ed.ac.uk/icehl20/foot-phonological-history-english/

One of the central questions in the phonology of any language is: what type of phonological foot does it have? If we ask this question of English, with its long-recorded history, we can further ask: has the type of foot that the language uses changed over time? A crucial follow-on question, which needs to be answered at both historical and contemporary levels is: what kinds of evidence can we use to determine the foot structure of a language? And when we consider the evidence that can be used to investigate the history of English a further question arises: what relationship is there between the feet used in a language’s phonology and in the metre of a language’s poetry?

The answers that we give to these questions naturally depend in part on the types of foot that are assumed to be allowed in phonology. Some, such as Abercrombie, have simply assumed that – in a language like English – all the material between stresses is gathered up exhaustively into feet. Hayes has famously proposed a universal inventory of feet: the syllabic trochee, the moraic trochee and iamb. Dresher & Lahiri have argued that, in addition to this, we need the Germanic foot to cope with data from Germanic languages such as English. Several types of data have been proposed to be relevant in considering the fundamental questions that this workshop addresses, including patterns in stress assignment, syncope (as in Old English High Vowel Deletion), prosodic morphology, metre, and consonantal distribution.

This workshop aims to provide a forum in which we can discuss these issues as they relate to the phonological history of English. Any type of evidence is welcome, as is any theoretical position.

The following speakers have already confirmed their participation:

- Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero: ‘Diagnostics of the moraic trochee from Proto-Germanic to the present: (LL)~(H) equivalence, (LH) and (HL) avoidance’
- Elan Dresher & Aditi Lahiri: ‘The foot in English’
- Patrick Honeybone: ‘Evidence for English foot structure from consonantal processes: moras count’
- Donka Minkova: ‘Binary and ternary feet in early English phonology and metrics’

16th Old World Conference on Phonology (OCP16)
http://sites.hss.univr.it/ocp/

The 16th Old World Conference on Phonology (OCP16) will take place at the University of Verona, Italy, 16-18 January 2019.

Invited speakers:
- Will Bennett (University of Calgary)
- Ulrike Domahs (University of Marburg)
- Martin Krämer (UiT, Tromsø)

We welcome submissions on any topic in phonology. We invite abstracts for talks (20 minutes, followed 10 minutes of discussion) or posters. Each individual may submit a maximum of one abstract as first author (or sole author), and a maximum of two abstracts in total. Abstracts will be (blindly) peer-reviewed by an international panel of reviewers.

Abstract guidelines:

- Maximum 2 pages of A4 paper, including references, examples, tables, and figures.
- 12 pt Times New Roman font, or similar.
- 2.54 cm (one inch) margins on all sides.
- Anonymous
- PDF format

Abstracts not following these guidelines will be rejected without review.

Abstract submission, reviewing, and notification of acceptance will be handled using EasyChair link:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ocp16

The deadline for abstract submission is 16 September 2018

Notification of acceptance will be late October/early November

**********************

POSITIONS VACANT

***********************

The School of Communication and Culture, Aarhus University, invites applications for a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in language variation and change. This is a full-time position and begins on 1 January 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter. It is associated with the research project “Ageing in Language Variation and Change”, supported by an Aarhus University Research Foundation (Aarhus Universitets Forskningsfond (AUFF)) Starting Grant. The position is based at the Department of English, which is part of the School of Communication and Culture.

The successful applicant will be a member of the research group Sounds of Language and Speech (for more information about the group and our phonetics lab, see: https://soundsoflanguageandspeech.wordpress.com/).

The project is coordinated by Michaela Hejná at the Department of English, and will run from January 2019 until December 2020.

Aims of the postdoc research project:
Within the field of language variation and change, age is often approached as a social variable (social age), as well as being placed on a par with chronological age (as opposed to biological age). This is the general tendency, despite the multifaceted characteristics of age (e.g. Eckert 1997). So the first aim of the postdoc research project is to develop the appropriate methodology to conduct linguistic research that considers social age as the key variable, as opposed to chronological age.

Most likely because biological age is difficult to determine without obtaining biological data, the role of biological ageing on language variation and change has not received as much attention as, for example, biological sex (vis-à-vis social gender identity). The second aim of the postdoc position is to contrast biological and chronological age and establish whether the former has any effects on selected laryngeal phenomena. This will include collection and analyses of production data as well as collection of the speakers’ biomarkers (in collaboration with Gillian Pepper and Daniel Nettle, Centre of Behaviour and Evolution, Newcastle University, UK). The project will enable us to establish not only whether biological ageing is a factor relevant for at least some consonantal and vocalic changes, but also what the magnitude of this potential effect may be.

Qualifications:
- Eligible applicants for this position should hold a PhD degree or equivalent qualifications.
- Applicants must document the ability to conduct research using acoustic analyses within the field of phonetics and/or language variation and change (LVC).
- Candidates are expected to master the statistical methods used in phonetics and LVC.
- Experience of R is required.
- Experience of using articulatory equipment will be considered an advantage.
- Very good command of academic English in oral and written communication is required.
- Applicants should be interested in collaborative, interdisciplinary work.
- Applicants should also submit a description of one or two research projects in which the applicant has been involved, showcasing the type of questions and methodological approaches of which the applicant has experience (the applicant’s PhD project, for example).
- The description should be no more than three pages long.

The application and all the relevant documents must be submitted in English.

Please read the full announcement and apply online at:
http://www.au.dk/en/about/vacant-positions/scientific-positions/stillinger/Vacancy/show/980895/5283/

Application Deadline: 31-Jul-2018

Web Address for Applications: https://bit.ly/2JFL7P5

_____________________________________

The Huddersfield School of Music and Humanities invites applications for a full time, permanent post in Linguistics based in Linguistics and Modern Languages (Ref: R3717)

We are a department with an excellent reputation for research and teaching in linguistics, English language and modern foreign languages, based in the School of Music, Humanities and Media. We are particularly well known for the applied focus of our work, and we offer a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees related of our areas of expertise. Our work in English Language specifically is recognised by the University having been listed in the 2018 QS World University Rankings by subject for 'English Language and Literature'.

In addition to conducting research, the successful candidate will contribute to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching across a number of modules and courses in linguistics, leading lectures and seminars, as well as undertaking administration duties associated with teaching and the delivery of our courses.

We are interested in candidates who have a PhD in Linguistics (or are nearing completion) and have a developing record of high quality publications and other research related activity.

The successful applicant will have expertise in Linguistics and will be able to teach in the area of Phonetics/Phonology, with additional expertise in Sociolinguistics. Interest in the linguistics of a language/languages other than English is also desirable, though not essential. Expertise in other areas of Linguistics relevant to our teaching and research will also be considered.

If you would like to have an informal discussion about the post please do not hesitate to contact Dr Liz Holt, subject leader, at the contact information provided below.

For further details about this post and to make an application please visit the application link.

Closing Date: 2 July 2018
Interview Date: 30 July 2018
Web Address for Applications: http://hud.ac/eh8
Contact Information:
Liz Holt
e.j.holt AT hud.ac.uk
Phone: 0044 (0)1484 478426

The Department of Linguistics and Cognitive Science at Pomona College, the founding member of the Claremont Colleges, invites applications for a one-year position in Linguistics at the level of Visiting Assistant Professor beginning August 1, 2018. Candidates must have a strong commitment to high-quality undergraduate teaching in a liberal arts environment, and those with significant teaching experience are especially encouraged to apply. The position has a five-course teaching load over two semesters, which will include Phonology and Introduction to Linguistics. Ability to teach Syntax is considered a plus.

Applicants should send a letter of interest, CV, graduate transcript (an unofficial transcript is acceptable), recent teaching evaluations, and names and contact information of three references via email to the contact information provided below.

See the department website for more information about our department. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; review of applications will begin on June 12. This position is not eligible for travel and moving expenses, nor visa sponsorship. Pomona College supports equal access to higher education and values a diverse environment. The successful candidate will have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving higher education for underrepresented students.

Application Deadline: 12-Jun-2018 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: mary.paster pomona.edu
Contact Information:
Mary Paster
Email: mary.paster pomona.edu
_______________________________________________________-

Applications are invited for appointment as Post-doctoral Fellow in the Division of Speech & Hearing Sciences, Faculty of Education, University of Hong Kong, to commence in Sept 2018 is renewable for a second year.

The position is available for a talented junior scientist who is interested in conducting research investigating the relationship between child language acquisition and sound change. The successful candidate will work with the team leaders (Drs. Carol To, Yao Yao, and Alan Yu) on studies investigating phonetic and phonological acquisition of Cantonese in different home language environments.
http://web.edu.hku.hk/division/division-of-speech-and-hearing-sciences/research

Applicants must possess a Ph.D. degree in linguistics, speech and language studies, child language acquisition, cognitive science, psychology, or a related discipline at the time of appointment. Research experience with child-directed speech, bilingual phonological acquisition, and/or construction of child-directed speech (CDS) corpora are highly preferred. Abilities to speak Mandarin, Hindi/Urdu, and/or Cantonese would be desirable but not required. Excellent written and spoken English are essential.

Enquiries should be directed to Dr. Carol To at the contact information provided below.

Application Deadline: 15-Jul-2018
http://jobs.hku.hk/index.php?dg=90
Contact Information:
Associate Professor Carol TO
Email: tokitsum hku.hk

The deadline for material for the next foNETiks newsletter is 10 July 2018.