Economics UPDATE: New Maths Resource

Bhagesh Sachania <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Oct 2006 23:29:28 +0100

Economics UPDATE
The monthly Economics Network Email Newsletter

2nd October 2006

Welcome to UPDATE the Economics Network Email Newsletter.  This newsletter
is intended to inform ECON-LTSN subscribers about our activities and to
provide other information that may be of interest. Economics UPDATE will be
distributed on the first Monday of each calendar month.

==========
CONTENTS
==========

1. WHAT'S NEW
	New Maths for Economics Formulae Sheet
	National Teaching Fellowship Scheme

2. NOTICEBOARD
	Economics New Lecturers Residential Workshop
	Economics In Action

===============
1. WHAT'S NEW
===============

NEW MATHS FOR ECONOMICS FORMULAE SHEET
The past decade has seen a serious decline in studentsí basic mathematical
skills and level of preparation on entry into higher education in the UK.
Many students now embark on degree programmes in economics without the
necessary maths skills and teaching mathematics to economics students has
become increasingly challenging for universities across the sector,
regardless of entry qualifications.

In light of these developments we now have a dedicated maths support section
on our web site that provides, and links to, a wide range of resources that
might help lecturers tackle some of these issues:
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/themes/maths.htm

We have recently produced an A4-size Maths for Economists formula sheet to
help economics students with their revision of arithmetic, algebra, calculus
and common functions.  Sample copies will be sent to heads of department and
contacts shortly. A PDF version can be downloaded from:
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/themes/maths_formula_sheet.pdf

NATIONAL TEACHING FELLOWSHIP SCHEME: CALL FOR PROJECT PROPOSALS
The call for bids for the National Teaching Fellowship Scheme (NTFS)
Projects strand is now open.  Teams led by higher education institutions in
England will be able to bid for funding of up to £200,000 for projects which
will be expected to bring substantial benefits to student learning
experiences in the HE sector.  Further information about the scheme and a
list of institutions eligible to bid are at:
http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/NTFSProjects.htm

The deadline for stage one proposals is Monday 23 October 2006.

================
2.  NOTICEBOARD
================

ECONOMICS NEW LECTURERS RESIDENTIAL WORKSHOP
Friday 13th - Saurday 14th October 2006, Bristol

This workshop has been specifically designed to meet the needs of Economics
teaching and involves evaluating a range of approaches, methods and
resources. The workshop will complement any generic-based institutional
courses that delegates are attending or have attended.  We have up to 25
places available, free of charge. These will be allocated on a first-come
first-served basis. Further information is available on our web site at:
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/events/newlec1006.htm

ECONOMICS IN ACTION
This is a blog (a series of occasional news items) on our
WhyStudyEconomics.ac.uk web site, aimed at explaining economics research to
school leavers and the general public. We are especially keen on
highlighting the applications that would be surprising to a non-economist,
so the site's categories include topics such as sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.
With the co-operation of the Royal Economic Society, we are also hosting
some audio interviews with economists about their research, and are
intending to add more in the future.

Recent posts include:
* Trillion dollar cost of global warming
* Researching Virginity Loss
* Cancer: Insights from Economics

Find these and more at:
http://whystudyeconomics.ac.uk/blog/

CONTACT US
If you have any suggestions, feedback or comments please contact:
Bhagesh Sachania, Information Officer, Economics Network
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: (0117) 928 7071