The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  March 2004

DISABILITY-RESEARCH March 2004

Re: advice on thesis

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:19:16 EST

In a message dated 29/03/04 09:57:48 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

>  Dear Pauline, Any ideas for this woman?  i am currently doing an MA in
>  Women's Studies based at Bangor University. my first thought is that
>  very few feminist work applies to or even mentions disabled women's
>  experiences. my next essay will be an attack on the continued oppression
>  of disabled and deaf women within the feminist movement. if you have any
>  suggestions for websites, contacts, books, articles which you recommend
>  i will be eternally grateful.
>

>  as a disabled single parent i am long versed in the issues of
>  disability, impairment and exclusion and want to be a part of a new
>  movement of disabled and deaf women who make a difference, who can
>  challenge existing literature and thought about our lives, experiences,
>  differences and most significantly our exclusion.i know there are a few
>  of us around and i am currently setting up a disabled women's group here
>  in north wales. but often i feel isolated even at university because
>  everything i read seems to be about other women and other women's
>  experiences and oppression and not my own.
>

>  if you know of any local, regional, national or international groups
>  which are also looking at our issues and trying to get heard within the
>  feminist movement can you also let me know as i am just starting out
>  with this research and already i am hitting dead ends. i recently joined
>  the university of glamorgan welsh women's history museum and asked what
>  info and resources they had about deaf and disabled women and they
>  simply replied "there is a real gap about disabled women's history" as
>  though stating that is enough!! grrr
>

>  so i think part of my disertation will be to address not only why this
>  gap exists, but still exists and new ways to put across our own stories
>

>  any help much appreciated

Dear Brenda,

There are a million and one disability and feminist texts - I suggest she
uses types in these words in her library system and she will find a multitude of
texts.   I think it is really important for her to take on board the
similarities between disability studies and feminism - both exploring social
oppression, and the socially created underpinnings of this oppression. I think it is
important to highlight this linkage - i.e. our fight against biological
determinism.

Regarding texts for her work - anything by Jenny Morris, Susan Lonsdale (look
in the back of disability books you locate for their bibliographies - should
find something useful) -There are so many - but advice is to contact the
disability research website which is on [log in to unmask] (though
when requesting info she be very clear about what she wants to explore -
should get quite a few responses).  Or key into website engines - the words -
feminism and disability - I'm sure they will be available at the university.  It
is very important to learn and use these skills as an academic and as an
activist - locating information etc etc.

Anyway, I hope this helps.  Have you directed her toward the UK Dis Movement
website and also GLAD

Anyway gotta go.

Cheers

are now located at: