DIGITALCLASSICIST@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DIGITALCLASSICIST Home

DIGITALCLASSICIST  June 2012

DIGITALCLASSICIST June 2012

Re: Wiki

"Kalvesmaki, Joel" <[log in to unmask]>

The Digital Classicist List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:06:43 +0000

Dear Gabby,

Thanks for your input. I hadn't known about Amanda French's calendar,
which is exactly the type of foundation I was looking for. No need, in my
opinion, do more than contribute to this one. But how well known and
supported is it? I didn't even find it on Amanda's website. The only
organization I found to advertise the calendar was ADHO
(digitalhumanities.org), and there it was only a link, not embedded. (ADHO
seems a bit behind the curve, too: their front page advertises as
"upcoming" two events from 2010!)

In the interest of pointing wiki visitors in the right direction, I found
a very dusty (i.e. unlinked and unedited-in-years) page...
http://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/Current_events
...and cleaned it up to be the main pointer for events. I tried to use the
<iframe> element to embed French's ADHO calendar, but the wiki software
didn't like that. If you figure out a way to embed the calendar, great.
Maybe it could be put at the bottom of the London events page?
http://www.digitalclassicist.org/wip/index.html

For the bibliography point you raise, I've started the relevant category
page (the category was already there, but it didn't have a dedicated page
or explanation):
http://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/Category:Bibliography
I wonder if the efforts of Jones and Acheson could be marshaled. I notice
their sidebar on their NetworkedBlog foresees, eventually, a wiki to be
the home for their finds. Why not combine forces?
http://www.networkedblogs.com/blog/ancient_world_open_bibliographies

To add to the list of desiderata for administrative development on the
wiki: wouldn't it be neat to take Romanello's zotero group, agree to use
tags that correspond to categories in the wiki, then set up a filter at
the bottom of each category page on the wiki to automatically import from
the Zotero API all relevant items? I know, there are too many great things
to do, all fighting for our attention. Lunch now has priority for me.

Best wishes,

jk
--
Joel Kalvesmaki