Dear List Members
CFA: Membership and Outreach Officer, Design History Society
Founded in 1977, the Design History Society is the leading organisation that promotes and supports the study of design histories, both in the UK and internationally. Through its journal, annual conference and programme of events it brings together all those engaged in the subject – students, researchers, educators, designers, designer-makers, critics and curators among them. The Society welcomes members with interests in related disciplines such as anthropology, architecture and art history, business history, the history of science and technology, craft history, cultural studies, economic and social history, design and design management studies.
The Society is looking to appoint a new Membership and Outreach Officer to champion the interests of its wide-ranging members and to raise the profile of the Society through varied and inclusive outreach activities.
The Membership and Outreach Officer serves on the Board of Trustees of the DHS, reporting directly to the Chair of the Executive Committee. In addition to general Trustee duties, the Membership and Outreach Officer is responsible for two main areas: recruitment and retention of members, and administering key DHS grants. These are the Outreach & Events Grant, supporting public events which promote design history beyond traditional academic settings, and the Day Symposium Grant, funding events around the world which disseminate high quality and original design history research. The post is unpaid, for an initial term of 3 years, but reasonable travel and care costs will be reimbursed, subject to the DHS expenses policy.
• To manage and maintain DHS memberships, and represent members’ interests on the Board of Trustees
• To facilitate outreach activities that raise the profile of the Society and Design History as a discipline
• To administer the Day Symposium Grant and Outreach & Events Grant
Role & Responsibilities
• Liaise with OUP (publisher of the Journal of Design History) about all aspects of membership such as subscriptions, renewals, and benefits
• Circulate the annual membership renewal e-mail and update the membership application form annually (with OUP)
• Work with the Communications Officer to distribute membership information and benefits to potential, new and current members.
• Explore and develop further member benefit opportunities
• Work with the Secretary to develop and maintain connections with relevant groups, such as research institutions, professional networks and subject-specific organisations.
• Liaise with Treasurer and Conference Liaison Officer to promote membership at the annual DHS conference, particularly with respect to rates for new, student and retired members.
• Work with the Teaching & Learning Officer on the organisation and delivery of the annual Writing & Publishing Workshop
• Advertise, administer and award the Day Symposium Grant and the Outreach & Events Grant
• Report on activities to membership at the Annual General Meeting and to Trustees at quarterly committee meetings.
• Participate in general committee duties, including contributing relevant content to the Design History Society website, assessing funding applications and assisting in preparations for – and attending – the annual conference.
• Abide by the Charity Governance Code in all work for the society
We are looking for candidates with the following attributes:
1. A strong interest in the history of design or related fields (essential).
2. Commitment to equal opportunities and inclusive practices (essential)
3. Experience of organising and promoting events (essential)
4. Self-motivated, organised and able to meet deadlines (essential)
5. Knowledge and/or experience of a relevant non-academic sector such as museums and galleries, conservation and heritage sector, creative industries, teaching and education etc (desired)
6. Experience of collaboration and working in a team (desired)
Please note: Trustees must be members of the Design History Society.
For more information about the role, or if you have any questions, please contact the Secretary (Dr Josie Kane) [log in to unmask] To apply, complete the application form and return to the DHS Administrator at [log in to unmask]
Download the application form here.
Extended deadline for submissions is 5pm, 1 February 2019.
Further information about the Society and the work of the Trustees can be found here:
Design History Society Website
DHS Trustees Annual Reports
The Essential Trustee: what you need to know, what you need to do (CC3)
To unsubscribe from the DESIGN-HISTORY list, click the following link: