List for discussion on Resource Description and Access (RDA)

Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:12:48 +0100

Diane and others

OK, keep me informed of progress on the Friday workshop and let me know when I need to anything.

Cheers.

Gordon

________________________________

From: List for discussion on Resource Description and Access (RDA) on behalf of Diane I. Hillmann
Sent: Wed 6/20/2007 8:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Update

Gordon:

Specific stuff below:

>Dear all
>
>1. I have now registered for DC2007 and booked my flights and
>accommodation. I will have to miss the first day of the conference
>proper to give me enough time to recover after IFLA in Durban; the
>need to keep expenses down means I have to fly Edinburgh-Durban
>return, then immediately followed by Edinburgh-Singapore (single
>tickets would have doubled the cost).
>
>So I will miss the session on Collections, which is a pity. But I'll
>be ok for the RDA session, and the Advisory Board on Saturday.
>Robina: please let me know what you want me to do in respect of the
>RDA session.
>
>I'm booked in to the Intercontinental. The travel and accommodation
>have exhausted the budget allocated by JSC, unless the US dollar
>makes a significant recovery against the British pound. CDLR has
>agreed, however, that I should not starve, and will make up any
>additional expenses. I have been talking to Diane Hillman about the
>possibility of assisting in her metadata decisions workshop to get
>some additional funding.

Now that you've confirmed that you'd like to work with us on this
I'll suggest to Makx that we should consider you one of the faculty
and worthy of whatever support can be managed.  I must admit that in
the runup to ALA (where I expect to be talking a lot about our joint
effort), I have neglected getting the discussion started with Sarah
(and you, now) on that workshop, but it's on top of my list on my
return.

>2. I have just returned from giving a presentation on RDA to the
>IFLA Libraries for the Blind Section workshop on Daisy (Digital
>Accessible Information System) cataloguing in Helsinki, Finland. See
>http://www.daisy.org/ for more about Daisy. The consortium is
>developing a global standard for metadata for digital talking books.
>They have already settled on using Dublin Core, so the cataloguers
>were very interested in the news about the work proposed for the
>DCMI Resource Description and Access Task Group. The vocabularies
>for content and carrier type proposed in RDA are of particular
>interest, especially if the equivalent RDA/ONIX framework values can
>be used to restrict union catalogue searches to exclude resources
>requiring visual intermediation. There was also interest in using,
>if appropriate, the proposed RDA application profile.

Excellent. I think another thing on our joint plate is to think about
how to ensure that the RDA/ONIX vocabularies are handled properly as
we move forward.  I'd really like to try mocking them up in the
Registry Sandbox, to see what the issues might be.  Are you game to
try that?

>3. As you will have seen, I have added all members of the RDA Joint
>Steering Committee to this list. If you wish to add any
>technically-minded colleagues, please let me know.

Diane