DC-COLLECTIONS-AP@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DC-COLLECTIONS-AP Home

DC-COLLECTIONS-AP  February 2007

DC-COLLECTIONS-AP February 2007

Re: Name of profile?

Theo van Veen <[log in to unmask]>

DCMI Collection Description Application Profile Task Group <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:58:45 +0100

I agree with changing the name to "Dublin Core Collection Application
Profile".

There is one other issue. I'm afraid it is too late now but I still want
to mention it.
In my view the purpose of a collection description is to find the target
address for searching the item descriptions. Being pragmatic it would be
very helpful if the collection description contains the address of the
target for searching with an encoding scheme specifying the protocol for
accessing the target (SRU, OAI, Z39.50). This will make the collection
description more usable for intelligent applications for directly
offering a search interface to a collection. Currently the term
isAccessedVia defines: "A service that provides access to the items
within the collection." It is not clear what this is: the name of a
service, an identifier or a base-URL.
My proposal would be to use an encoding scheme indicating the type of
URL or base-URL for direct access.
I had that discussion a long time ago, but since the collection
description is now more associated with finding aids I would like to
raise this again.

Theo