integer overflow

Ian Chivers <[log in to unmask]>

Fortran 90 List <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Mar 2012 11:41:23 -0000

Integer overflow and compiler detection
=======================================

Jane and I were contacted and asked about compilers
and integer overflow.

The person had a program where overflow occurred and they
were interested in finding out where the problem started.

We suggested that they have a look at the Polyhedron site.

The Polyhedron site
===================

Windows Compilers
-----------------

http://www.polyhedron.com/pb05-win32-diagnose0html

Linux Compilers
---------------

http://www.polyhedron.com/pb05-linux-diagnose0html

The only compiler that offers a option of detecting
this is Salford/Silverfrost one.

Jane and I were wondering why that this was the case.

Is the no hardware support on Intel and AMD chips in this area today?

We've found an Intel pdf (over 4,000 pages!) and have found a reference to

  CF carry flag
  OF overflow flag
  INTO Interrupt on overflow

amongst other information.

If there is hardware support is there any way off adding code to a program
to set the necessary flags/trap modes?

The majority of the people we deal with use AMD and Intel
hardware, so this would be our main area of interest.

Cheers

Ian Chivers
Jane Sleightholme