Help for COMP-FORTRAN-90 Archives

COMP-FORTRAN-90 Archives

COMP-FORTRAN-90@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

COMP-FORTRAN-90 Home

COMP-FORTRAN-90  March 2018

COMP-FORTRAN-90 March 2018

Re: Question on overloading defined assignment with a type-bound procedure

Steve Lionel <[log in to unmask]>

Fortran 90 List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:50:59 -0400

On 3/23/2018 1:28 PM, Vipul Parekh wrote:
> Follow-up questions in connection with work by standard committees
> toward a Fortran standard related inquiry or an interp request or
> examination of a possible defect:
>
> 1) how can one track progress on any such activity?
>
> 2) how can one review the feedback or comments by those on the committees?
>
> 3) how does one prevent any particular effort from becoming dormant?

Given the timing, this issue would need to be an interpretation request
against Fortran 2018. Malcolm is usually quite good at writing papers
for things like this, though I can't promise he will. I do think that
since you have the attention of at least three committee members
(Malcolm, myself and Bill Long), and that some compilers get it wrong
(according to Malcolm, I haven't studied it myself), it is likely
something will happen.

Interp requests are J3 papers and can be reviewed at j3-fortran.org
Interp requests always (eventually) get a detailed response from J3 that
is added in a revision to the original paper.  Standing document 006
summarizes all of the interp requests and their status, though it is
updated infrequently. Once an issue has been accepted as an interp
request, it stays on the open list until it is resolved. That said, some
requests do go unanswered for years, but that's usually for those that
are difficult to wrap one's head around or are poorly stated. The more
people we have on the committee, the faster such requests get processed.

Once an interp is approved by J3, it is then collected with others and
sent out for a WG5 vote. If approved, it makes its way into a
Corrigendum that is then published. I'll note that ISO rules on
Corrigenda, which set a limit of two per standard revision, are
problematic for large standards such as Fortran's. There is a proposal
to allow online publication of interpretations for lower-overhead
communication, though these would not have the "legal" standing of a
published Corrigendum.

The "head of Interp" used to be Stan Whitlock, who retired from Intel at
the same time I did.  Malcolm is now in that position.

Steve