Re: Problems with HEC in CCP4

Clemens Vonrhein <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 May 2018 17:21:35 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 02:21:59PM +0000, Robbie Joosten wrote:
> A link describes a chemical bond between two residues. With each
> LINK modifications of the residues are described (e.g. leaving atoms
> and, in this case, changes of local chemistry such as bond orders).

I guess that is not strictly true for the official PDB format
description e.g. at

  http://www.wwpdb.org/documentation/file-format-content/format33/sect6.html#LINK

where we have

  The LINK records specify connectivity between residues that is not
  implied by the primary structure. Connectivity is expressed in terms
  of the atom names. They also include the distance associated with
  the each linkage following the symmetry operations at the end of
  each record.

"Connectivity" doesn't explicitly mean a "chemical bond", although
further down we have

  The atoms involved in bonds between HET groups or between a HET
  group and standard residue are listed.

and other points talk about "linkages" and "bonding". So maybe not
completely clear what is meant here - but let's assume that some kind
of chemical relation is intended (bond, coordination, salt bridge).

However, PDB entries themselves contain a vast amount of LINK records
that are clearly auto-generated by some software step after
deposition: this step seems to use a simple 3.5A cut-off criteria to
list all atoms in close contact. That's why there are all those LINK
records involving HOH waters - and we clearly don't want to introduce
a bond restraint to those waters.

Anyway, apart from the potential issues with LINK records in deposited
PDB entries, those records in PDB files under active refinement don't
really hold a description about the linkage type - only if a program
is either writing content beyond the default length of 78 characters
or by writing non-standard LINK records, i.e. missing the SymOP items
and putting something else there. This can make those LINK records
quite problematic when moving between different programs - the
non-standard LINKR record used by REFMAC (?) seems a cleaner way to
me, being obviously non-standard.

Cheers

Clemens

> Each LINK type has a unique identifier that points to the descriptions in the CCP4 dictionary. Did you add those names (HEC-something, I don’t know them by hart)? And is your CCP4 up to date?
>
> Cheers,
> Robbie
>
> Sent from my Windows 10 phone

* Global Phasing Ltd., Sheraton House, Castle Park
* Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK                   www.globalphasing.com