Each year, the CBA offers small grants of up to £750 to support new or existing research projects carried out by local societies, groups and communities, through the CBA Challenge Funding (www.britarch.ac.uk/grants/challengefunding) scheme.
There is still money available to support groups and societies in this financial year, but applications must be submitted by the 31st of March 2010.
Groups, societies and individuals working in a voluntary capacity or promoting voluntary involvement are challenged to put forward proposals for projects which will either:
* say something new about the history of local surroundings, and thus inform their future care and appreciation; or
* contribute to archaeological innovation (ie new or under-studied aspects of the historic environment, or new methods, techniques and approaches); or
* help non-government bodies to establish long-term resources or facilities to enable others to carry out their own original research.
Past projects that have been awarded Challenge Funding have included the Fairfield Project in Somerset, the Dyffryn Crawnon Farm Survey in Powys and the Hillforts of Strathdon Project in Aberdeenshire. General queries regarding the eligibility of potential Challenge Funding projects should be directed to
Voluntary and Community Groups and Societies are also encouraged to consider joining the CBA as Affiliate Members (see www.britarch.ac.uk/cba/membership/affiliate). Affiliate membership benefits include:
- Two named members to receive [British Archaeology(/ba/) magazine
- CBA Members' Newsletter and Impact Report - Membership or a CBA Regional Group (if in England, or joint membership with Archaeology Scotland or CBA Wales/Cymru for a small additional fee)
- Discounts on insurance and other products
- Voting rights at CBA meetings
Contact the CBA ([log in to unmask]) for further details about membership.
Dr Suzie Thomas
Community Archaeology Support Officer
Council for British Archaeology
St Mary's House
tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384
www.britarch.ac.uk | www.britarch.ac.uk/caf
Raise money for Council for British Archaeology as you search the web
With Everyclick you can fundraise for Council for British Archaeology every day.
HELP Council for British Archaeology TODAY - make http://www.everyclick.com/council-for-british-archaeology <http://www.everyclick.com/council-for-british-archaeology> your homepage.