BRITARCH July 2012

Re: Collections management

William Moss <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Jul 2012 15:38:25 +0000

Thanks Andy, this is perfect.

William Moss MA, FSA, RPA
Archéologue principal
Design, Architecture et Patrimoine  |  Aménagement du territoire  |  Ville de Québec  |  295, boulevard Charest Est  |  Québec  (Québec)  G1K 3G8  |  Téléphone : 418.641.6411, poste 2149  |  Télécopie : 418.641.6455  |
[log in to unmask]  |  www.ville.quebec.qc.ca  |  www.ovpm.org/fr/canada/quebec

-----Message d'origine-----
De : British archaeology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Andy Brockman
Envoyé : 5 juillet 2012 11:26
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: [BRITARCH] Collections management

Dear William,

The UNESCO Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage [2001] also has maintaining the integrity of the assemblage from a particular site as a core principle as set out in Rules 2, 32, 33 and 34 of the Annex on best practice.

These are the key sections...

Rule 2. The commercial exploitation of underwater cultural heritage for trade or speculation or its irretrievable dispersal is fundamentally incompatible with the protection and proper management of underwater cultural heritage. Underwater cultural heritage shall not be traded, sold, bought or bartered as commercial goods. This Rule cannot be interpreted as preventing:
(a) the provision of professional archaeological services or necessary services incidental thereto whose nature and purpose are in full conformity with this Convention and are subject to the authorization of the competent authorities;
(b) the deposition of underwater cultural heritage, recovered in the course of a research project in conformity with this Convention, provided such deposition does not prejudice the scientific or cultural interest or integrity of the recovered material or result in its irretrievable dispersal; is in accordance with the provisions of Rules 33 and 34; and is subject to the authorization of the competent authorities.

*XIII. Curation of project archives*

Rule 32. Arrangements for curation of the project archives shall be agreed to before any activity commences, and shall be set out in the project design.

Rule 33. The project archives, including any underwater cultural heritage removed and a copy of all supporting documentation shall, as far as possible, be kept together and intact as a collection in a manner that is available for professional and public access as well as for the curation of the archives. This should be done as rapidly as possible and in any case not later than ten years from the completion of the project, in so far as may be compatible with conservation of the underwater cultural heritage.

Rule 34. The project archives shall be managed according to international professional standards, and subject to the authorization of the competent authorities.

There is excellent documentation on the UNESCO Website.

Andy Brockman

--

Andy Brockman

Conflict and Community Archaeologist

72 Nithdale Road

LONDON SE18 3PD

Telephone:               0208 316 6358

Mobile                      07958 543518

e-mail:  [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended for the addressee only.  If you receive this e-mail in error you may not act on, or pass on, any information contained herein and must inform the sender immediately.

This e-mail was checked and believed to be virus free when sent but you are reminded you are responsible for checking all your e-mail and attachments for viruses

The author endeavours to follow the codes of practice of the Institute for Archaeologists [IFA] as being the current best practice for personal conduct within archaeological investigations. Thus any opinions contained herein are those of the author alone and where they concern Historical or Archaeological matters, they represent the best understanding of the evidence and information available at the time of writing and may be subject to change if further evidence or information is discovered.

Therefore the author  takes no responsibility for any action, taken by any party, relating to the issues discussed above.