BRITARCH August 2005

Re: Basic geography: Virtual Museum!

Michael Haseler <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:58:32 +0100

> > 1. A school project on "gladiators" could have a 1
> > hour tour through all the
> > objects specific to the project from several
> > different museums - each object
> > could have its own question and links to more
> > information.
> >
> > 2. On random access exhibitions - Museum curators
> > could track how visitors
> > navigate between objects and adjust the "exhibition"
> > to make it more
> > worthwhile... they could even ask questions like "do
> > you need more
> > information on this object" and if 90% say yes, then
> > they know they need to
> > update the text.
> >
> > 3. Schools could use the museums as part of the
> > their curriculum rather than
> > as a special one-off visit (with little ability to
> > relate the articles seen
> > to real history!)
> >
> > 4. Schools could upload information to the museum -
> > local history, projects
> > done by children.
> >
> > 5. The British Museum could host a multitude of
> > "local" museums
> >
> > (For British Museum read any so called "national"
> > museum based in the SE!)
> >
> > Mike
>
> Such things are online - see my earlier e-mail for web
> site addresses (may have got lost in all amongst the
> metal detectors).
>
> Janet Davis

Janet,

I went to the web address you suggested - to be honest I am even more
annoyed now than before.

1. I could not find the entrance - indeed, unlike a real museum I had no
idea if there was an entrance or indeed if there was a "building" - since
virtual exhibitions don't require a physical shop front and could be any
size. I tried entering a few doors on the British Museum web site, but none
of them seemed to lead anywhere and only one room had anything in it (a bit
like our local museum)!

2. What I did find seemed to be pure and simply adverts for exhibitions at
the museum - which I haven't a hope of attending because I don't have three
days spare and spare money for the 800 mile return trip.

3. I did manage to see one "room" with twelve photos of the middle East
before Islam - as a single placard within a single showcase - it was very
good, but what about everything else?

Can I suggest if you are going to offer virtual access:-

1. Create a entrance hall for virtual access with :
2. An entrance for each exhibition - giving an explanation and size to the
exhibition (200 items 1/2 hour)
3.  "   "    ... for a library (i.e. random item access) for a help desk,
for contacts, for suggestions box,
4.  "   "    ... a sales desk (books etc.)
5.  A map
5a. "what's new"

6. Provide quick access to exhibitions e.g. a couple of pages containing
mini-pictures of all items.

7. Each page should tell you where you are (particularly important if an
item is located by a search facility". British
Museum->Egyptian->mummies->ornaments that way, the visitor can find the item
again and find other related items giving a context.

8. You also ought to make suggestions like "you've visited 'Greek coins' why
not now consider 'Greek pottery' 'Greek sculpture' 'Greek temples' 'Greek
writing' 'roman coins' 'Egyptian coins'

9. Once a reasonable number of items are online - you ought to be able to
let schools/universities produce their own virtual tours - indeed, if you
are really clever, you will let them do most of the hard work!

10. Charge for access! You are after all providing a service for which most
people would need to pay at least the equivalent of an "all zones day
return" to access - explain this and make it clear the funds go to improving
the web access and then most people should accept it!

Mike