Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  October 2009

BRITARCH October 2009

Re: Speed of Ancient Ships against the wind

Christopher Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:03:40 +0000

There is a fine section that examines this in Sean McGrail's book: McGrail, S. 1998 Ancient Boats in NW Europe: The archaeology of water transport to A.D. 1500. London: Longman.

It depends what period you are wishing to look at. Through my own research I have examined details on this for the Early Medieval North Sea. Martin Carver covered some of the issues regarding oarsmen vs. sailing in this period in his 1990 article on sailing times from Sutton Hoo.

I have touched upon this in a forthcoming chapter in the Turner and Petts edited volume on Northumbria, which is then developed in my P.hD research. I'd be happy to discuss this further if you pop me an e-mail.

Chris Ferguson

Christopher Ferguson
DPhil Candidate, Archaeology
Institute of Archaeology, University of Oxford.
36 Beaumont Street, Oxford
OX1 2PG
www.chrisferguson.co.uk