Help for BRITARCH-NEWS Archives

BRITARCH-NEWS Archives

BRITARCH-NEWS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH-NEWS Home

BRITARCH-NEWS  July 2006

BRITARCH-NEWS July 2006

A day school to honour the memory of Bob Thomson

Jonathan Bateman <[log in to unmask]>

Jonathan Bateman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:26:31 +0100

'Ou est les dishes de chafing?'
A day school to honour the memory of Bob Thomson

Saturday 7th October 2006
Tudor Merchant's Hall, Southampton

Call for Papers and an Open Invitation

Bob Thomson devoted over 40 years of his life to medieval archaeology,
and his interests ranged from medieval settlements, buildings and
building materials, firearms, trade and especially medieval pottery. He
was an immense figure in the archaeology of Southampton, where, at
various times, he ran excavations, studied pottery, recorded and managed
the ancient monuments, and ran the museum.  Bob's energy and commitment
took him far beyond Southampton, however, and he made friends and
contacts throughout Britain and Europe.

Bob died in September 2005, and this event is our tribute to his life
and work, and opportunity to recognise his influence and legacy. The day
is organised by Southampton City Council and the Southampton City
Museums Archaeological Society, and is open to all who wish to attend.
There will be a series of lectures touching on subjects Bob was closely
involved with, followed by a more Thomsonesque celebration in a nearby
hostelry. There will also be a bookstall, where some of Bob's extensive
library will be on sale, all proceeds to go to his widow.

Our aim is to gather together old friends and colleagues but also to
attract as wide an audience as possible. Our invitation extends to
anybody interested in a wide-ranging and informative discussion of
medieval and post-medieval archaeology.

All offers of presentations, or expressions of interest, should be
directed to:
Duncan Brown, Curator of Archaeology, Southampton City Council, Tower
House, Town Quay Road, Southampton, SO14 2NY, England.
Telephone +44 (0)2380 915728
e-mail [log in to unmask]