Help for ARCHIVES-NRA Archives

ARCHIVES-NRA Archives

ARCHIVES-NRA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARCHIVES-NRA Home

ARCHIVES-NRA  June 2018

ARCHIVES-NRA June 2018

Invitation: GB1900 Historical Gazetteer Launch -- Mon 9th July -- London

humphrey <[log in to unmask]>

humphrey <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Jun 2018 14:51:39 +0100

GB1900 is a new historical gazetteer of Great Britain created through a large crowd-sourcing project extracting ALL the textual information on the Ordnance Survey second edition County Series six-inch maps covering all of Great Britain, published between 1888 and 1913. About 2.6 million place names and other strings of text have been transcribed, each with a coordinate accurate to a few metres. The result is arguably the largest historical gazetteer of Britain ever created, identifying every farm, most woods and roughly half of all street names.

The project has been a collaboration between the GB Historical GIS team at the University fo Portsmouth, the National Libraries of Scotland and of Wales, the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, the Advanced Centre for Welsh and Celtic Studies, People’s Network Wales— and over 1,000 online volunteers, making this maybe the largest-ever crowd-sourcing project specifically focused on historical maps.

On Monday 9th of July, from 1.30 to 5, we are organising an event, in the Wolfson Room I at the Institute of Historical Research, Senate House, University of London WC1 which will be both a big thank-you to the volunteers and a launch event for the final gazetteer, including demonstrations of how to search and download it:

PROGRAMME:

1.30-1.50	Registration

1.50-2.00	Welcome and Introduction

2.00-3.00	Building GB1900:
-- Tom Pert (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales)
-- Humphrey Southall (University of Portsmouth)
-- Sarah Williams (Who Do You Think You Are Magazine)
-- Chris Fleet (National Library of Scotland)

3.00-3.15	Presentations to key GB1900 volunteers
3.15-4.00	Tea, Coffee and Cake

4.00-5.00	Using GB1900
-- Paula Aucott (University of Portsmouth)
-- David Parsons (Advanced Centre for Welsh and Celtic Studies)
-- Richard Light (Free UK Genealogy)

This is an open invitation to come to this celebration. Places are limited, so please register via our Eventbrite page. The event is free to attend, and we will provide refreshments and a chance to chat to people involved in the project.

Please note that these registrations are  provisional. We will be sending out more details including how to get to the venue on the 25th June and you must reply to that email to confirm your attendance. This means we may be able to make some additional places available at that point.

Register for the event here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gb1900-historical-gazetteer-a-celebration-and-launch-tickets-46224059406

Humphrey Southall
Professor of Historical Geography/