ARCHAEOBOTANY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARCHAEOBOTANY Home

ARCHAEOBOTANY  2006

ARCHAEOBOTANY 2006

Re: dating of pollen profiles

Felix Bittmann <[log in to unmask]>

The archaeobotany mailing list <[log in to unmask]>, Felix Bittmann <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:45:32 +0100

Simone Riehl schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know about a work concentrating on the methodological
> problem of correlating 14C-data with varve dating in a pollen profile?
> So far I could only find reports describing the problem either as
> being apparent from correlating different profiles dated with
> different methods (and thus not having tested both dating methods on
> the same object), or as unsolvable because of too low organic content
> in the varvae to be radiocarbon dated. What about AMS-dating of pollen?
> I would be thankful for any reference.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Simone
>

> Simone Riehl (Dr. rer. nat., M.A., Archaeobotanist)
> Institute for Prehistory and Quaternary Ecology
>
> Burgsteige 11
> D-72070 Tuebingen
> Germany
>
> Tel. / Fax +49 (0)7071 2978915 / 296457
> http://www.urgeschichte.uni-tuebingen.de/index.php?id=132
> http://www.cuminum.de/archaeobotany/

Dear Simone,

some more:
HAJDAS, I. (1993) Extension of the radiocarbon calibration curve by AMS
dating of laminated sediments of lake Soppensee and lake Holzmaar. Diss.
ETH Zürich, 147 S.
HAJDAS, I.; IVY, S. D.; BEER, J.; BONANI, G.; IMBODEN, D.; LOTTER, A.
F.; STURM, M. & SUTER M. (1993) AMS radiocarbon dating and varve
chronology of Lake Soppensee: 6000 to 12000 14C years BP. Climate
Dynamics 9: 107-116.

Felix

Dr. Felix Bittmann
Niedersaechsisches Institut für historische Kuestenforschung
Lower Saxony Institute for Historical Coastal Research
Viktoriastr. 26/28
D-26382 Wilhelmshaven

Tel +49 (0)4421 915 146
Fax +49 (0)4421 915 110