Full-time Senior Lecturer in Mathematics and Statistics (Permanent Position)
Department Econometrics and Operations Research
Tilburg School of Economics and Management
Tilburg University, The Netherlands
Tilburg University is not only next to a beautiful forest, but it is also conveniently located next to the train station that bears its name, a supermarket, cafeterias and a Starbucks coffee place, as well as one train stop away from the Tilburg city center (30 minutes on foot, 10 by bike or bus).
Our university is an inspiring and highly international community of faculty and students. It is one of the best universities in the Netherlands and in Europe, both in education and research, as evidenced by both our rankings and the increase in the number of students every year.
Our department, the Department of Econometrics and Operations Research, is part of the Tilburg School of Economics and Management. The department has 45 faculty members and 35 PhD students. We are responsible for the Bachelor in Econometrics and Operations Research, a selective program for highly motivated students with strong quantitative skills. We also provide three master programs in the fields of Econometrics and Mathematical Economics, Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science, and Business Analytics and Operations Research, all of which benefit from a great reputation in industry and academia, and offer a great launching pad for a highly paid quantitative analyst job in the Netherlands and abroad.
We are responsible for teaching many quantitative courses in all bachelor programs of our School of Economics and Management, in the Research Master in Economics and Business, and in the new Data Science Bachelor, a recent joint venture with Technical University Eindhoven. Our department benefits from an excellent international reputation in both education and in fundamental research in a wide range of quantitative areas such as econometrics, economics, operations research, quantitative finance, actuarial science, mathematical economics, game theory and applied mathematics, all with a strong focus on societal relevance.
We invite applications for a Full-Time Senior Lecturer position as a tenured associate lecturer in Mathematics and Statistics in the Department of Econometrics and Operations Research. The successful candidate will benefit from a permanent contract and is expected from 1 September to
• teach and coordinate lectures and tutorials for a number of the quantitative courses taught by our department,
• supervise Bachelor and Master theses in our own Bachelor and Master programs,
• take leadership in updating and modernizing course materials,
• initiate and implement teaching and education innovations,
• take leadership in projects related to the digitization of courses and education programs.
Besides the above mentioned educational tasks, the successful candidate is also offered the oppor-tunity to dedicate 10 to 20% of her/his time to research.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague who:
• has completed a PhD degree in mathematics, statistics, econometrics, operations research or a related quantitative field,
• has several years of experience in teaching courses for large and small groups,
• is an excellent teacher, as evidenced, for example, by high teaching evaluations,
• is a competent and inspiring thesis coordinator,
• was or is currently involved in the development and modernization of courses and program curricula, as evidenced by important contributions in developing learning goals for Bachelor or Master programs, in accreditations and/or in introducing new courses or modernizing existing ones,
• has substantial experience with developing new course materials, as evidenced by (co)-authorship of textbooks or of lecture notes,
• has successfully lead an education team, and is used to coordinating a team of teachers and students assistants for the purpose of teaching a large course,
• is knowledgeable of the current innovations in education, including digital education (for example educational movies and blended learning).
We offer a full-time Tenured Senior Lecturer position on a permanent contract. The position comes with an attractive job package that features several benefits including pension benefits, insurance discounts, large vacation and end of year bonuses, full reimbursement of a yearly sports card at our University Sports Center, train discounts, to mention a few.
The gross salary is minimally € 4.815 and maximally € 5.861, excluding vacation (8%) and end-of-year bonus (8,3%); this is the salary scale 13, fixed by the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities, and equal to the salary scale of all entering or just tenured associate professors in the Netherlands.
Application and interviews
The applications can exclusively be completed online, please visit https://tiu.nu/13761.
Complete applications should include a cover letter, CV, two recommendation letters, and a teaching portfolio (for example, teaching evaluations, textbooks or lecture notes, teaching slides). We will review
applications as soon as they come in and continue until the deadline of June 6.
If you need more information, please do not hesitate to contact the recruiting chair, Prof. Herbert Hamers, at tel.: +31-13-4662660/2430, or by e-mail at [log in to unmask]
The first round interviews will take place in the week of June 11.
You may leave the list at any time by sending the command
to [log in to unmask], leaving the subject line blank.