Research Associate/Assistant 'Medical Statistician (Clinical Trials)', - Ref: 1732462
UCL Department / Division: MRC Clinical Trials Unit at UCL
Location of position: London
Hours: Full Time
Salary (inclusive of London allowance): Grade 6B £30,316 - £31,967 per annum - Grade 7 £34,635 - £41,864 per annum
Duties and Responsibilities:
Join one of the country's leading Clinical Trials Units.
The MRC Clinical Trials Unit at University College London is amongst the country's foremost clinical trials units and is a centre of excellence for carrying out challenging and innovative studies, and developing and implementing new methodologies. The Unit undertakes world-class research, and we are committed to strengthening and expanding the evidence base for healthcare both nationally and internationally, delivering innovative and novel research that can really make a difference.
We are looking to recruit an outstanding Statistician to play a central role in ground-breaking clinical trial research. This exciting opportunity involves conducting statistical analyses of a large (n=3954) recently completed trial investigating four different approaches to improving outcomes in children with severe anaemia (haemoglobin <6g/dl) presenting to hospitals in Africa.
The MRC Clinical Trials Unit is seeking an enthusiastic Trial Statisticians to provide statistical support to a recently completed high profile international clinical trial in our infectious diseases programme. The role will involve working within a multi-disciplinary international team. In future there may also be opportunities to work on ongoing trials.
Duties of the role will include:
· Responsibility for undertaking additional analyses relating to the randomized comparisons within a recently completed trial in children with severe anaemia in Africa (TRACT, ISRCTN 84086586) together with wider epidemiological analyses to explore the impact of blood transfusions and other management strategies in this patient population, under supervision of an experienced statistician
· Responsibility for preparing reports of analyses; discussing and interpreting reports and results with colleagues and collaborators in the trial; and assisting in the preparation of conference extracts and papers for submission to peer reviewed journals.
· In future, there may also be opportunities to work on ongoing trials, including taking responsibility for developing statistical analysis plans and working practices, undertaking interim analyses, preparation and presentation of reports; as well as taking responsibility for day to day management of statistical aspects of the studies including Liaising on data quality, actively providing a statistical viewpoint for decisions about trial management, and identification of potential problems impacting on final results.
· Provision of statistical advice on the development of new research proposals, including study design and sample size calculations.
· For any new trials, assisting in the development of case report forms and specifications for analysis datasets, and the study database.
· Developing knowledge of the biology and epidemiology of relevant disease areas.
· Working on methodological problems, in collaboration with interested colleagues.
· Participating in teaching and in the statistical review of papers.
The successful candidate will have an enthusiastic approach, excellent communication skills, and proven ability to prioritise and work to deadlines. S/he should have a good understanding of statistical concepts and familiarity with one or more statistical packages, and a good understanding of the principles of randomised controlled trials.
Practical experience of statistical methods in analysing medical data would be an advantage, as would experience of working with multi-disciplinary teams and preparing/presenting reports, experience of working within Higher Education and/or research organisations or similar environment.
Candidates may also be interested in three other roles currently being advertised:
Ref: 1732458 Medical Statistician (Clinical Trials) x2
Ref: 1732436: Research Associate/Assistant 'Medical Statistician - (Systematic Reviews & Meta-analysis)'
Re: 1732464: Medical Statistician in Methodological Software
If you have any queries regarding the vacancy or the application process, please contact Carole Booth n ([log in to unmask]) or for an informal discussion regarding the post please contact Dr Elizabeth George ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).
For more information, please click HERE<https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/search_engine/jobs.cgi?owner=5063744&ownertype=fair&jcode=1732462&vt_template=966&adminview=1>
Closing Date: 23 Jul 2018
Latest time for the submission of applications: 23:59
Interview Date: 31st July 2018
Our department holds an Athena SWAN Bronze award, which illustrates our commitment to addressing gender equality.
You may leave the list at any time by sending the command
to [log in to unmask], leaving the subject line blank.