Help for WELSHSTUDIES Archives

WELSHSTUDIES Archives

WELSHSTUDIES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WELSHSTUDIES Home

WELSHSTUDIES  November 2018

WELSHSTUDIES November 2018

Writing Welsh Identities, Aberystwyth, 24th November

Jacqueline Yallop <[log in to unmask]>

Welsh writing in English and Welsh Studies <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Nov 2018 13:55:41 +0000

Here's further details of the event at Old College in Aberystwyth on 24th November. 1.30 - 5pm. Everyone welcome. Free. We'd love to see you there.

Professor Daniel Williams, University of Swansea
Professor Williams will give the day’s keynote talk: 'The Multiculturalism of the Other'. He will begin by exploring the ways in Wales has been defined in static, homogeneous terms and then examine attempts to define Wales and Welshness in hybrid and diverse ways, drawing attention to some of the difficulties and problems inherent in this effort.

Anna Beyer, Aberystwyth University
Drawing upon recent developments in identity theory, Anna will discuss the work of theorists like K.C. McLean and Alexandra Georgakopoulou who argue that identity is constantly re-formed through the ‘small stories’ people tell about themselves every day. She will explain the impact of these ideas on her own research - writing a novel set in mid-Wales that explores identity, depression and social isolation.

Morgan Davies, Aberystwyth University
Morgan will read from his novel, set in Mid-Wales. The principal character is an outsider, who escapes to Wales and struggles throughout the novel to establish her identity there. There are various factions with whom she comes into contact, with disparate and conflicting interpretations of the communities and landscape. He will discuss questions of landscape and identity raised in his writing.

Dan Jones, Aberystwyth University
Dan will explore ways in which Welsh life is presented in contemporary literature. He is interested in perceptions of ‘Welshness’ and the ways in which writers capture the multiple facets of what it might mean to be Welsh.

Sarah Reynolds, Aberystwyth University
Sarah’s interest is in bi-lingualism, especially the ways this impacts on fiction writers. As a Welsh learner who now writes in both languages, she will explore how we construct our identity through the languages we write. She will talk about the work of other writers who chose to write in both Welsh and English including Tony Bianchi.