Help for WEBSITE-INFO-MGT Archives

WEBSITE-INFO-MGT Archives

WEBSITE-INFO-MGT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WEBSITE-INFO-MGT Home

WEBSITE-INFO-MGT  January 2010

WEBSITE-INFO-MGT January 2010

Re: Accessibility of videos on HE websites

Paul Boag <[log in to unmask]>

Paul Boag <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:00:35 +0000

I confess that I have not been following this conversation in great depth but obviously transcription is something I have had to struggle with on the podcast. One thing I have concluded is that in order to be accessible the content of your video or audio do not need to be available in text form word for word. In fact doing so can in some cases damage accessibility. Video, audio and text are different mediums and should be treated as such. So for example, what I say on the podcast is often more 'chatty' than the blog post I am drawing the content from. This is okay in my view.

So what this means is that if a video lecture for example is accompanied by the speakers notes that can be enough. Or if the speaker has written a paper on a similar subject that can take the place of a transcription.

Where a transcription is required then I use a team of volunteers who do it. Obviously, you do not necessarily have that luxury. However, there are services out there that do it. For example has anybody mentioned http://castingwords.com/ yet? Also this is the kind of think which would be perfect for https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome.

Of course the most obvious answer is to pay some students to do it. You certainly wouldn't be paying 60 per hour! Admittedly the quality might not be as good but something is better than nothing.