WAN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WAN Home

WAN  August 2017

WAN August 2017

Silk River walks

Ali Pretty <[log in to unmask]>

Walking Artists Network <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Aug 2017 15:25:39 +0100

Hi everyone,

I'd like to invite you to join us for the culmination of Silk River. This ambitious project explores the unique relationship between London and Kolkata through artistic exchange between communities along the Thames Estuary and India’s Hooghly River.
I have been working with a team of artists and communities along the way to devise a series of unique walking events that will reveal the stories of those who live and work along both rivers and the connections they have with each other.
Each community has created a 6m hand-painted silk scroll that is a visual narrative of their walk. Every day a core group will welcome 2 new scrolls, one from the River Thames community and one from the Indian partner location, to be carried in September by participants from Kew Gardens to Southend where there will be a finale moment as we walk all 20 to the end of the mile-long pier. The journey continues in India, by boat and by foot we explore the river bank from Murshidabad to Batanagar completing the project in a finale event in central Kolkata.
The walks will be full of surprises, you can join for a morning, an afternoon, one, ten or twenty days and every day we will reveal more stories online, so you can experience and interact with us wherever you are.

UK: Sept 15-24 http://www.silkriver.co.uk/uk-walks/
India:Dec 6-17 http://www.silkriver.co.uk/india-walks/

Come walk with us, Ali