WAN Archives

WAN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WAN Home

WAN  May 2017

WAN May 2017

Exhibition in Research Pavilion, Venice

Niran Niran Baibulat Baibulat <[log in to unmask]>

Walking Artists Network <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 May 2017 10:49:08 +0300

Dear walking artist,

I´m happy to inform you about the exhibition in Research Pavilion, "You
Gotta Say Yes to Another Access" in Venice (10.5.- 2.7.17).

I´m Helsinki based visual artist doing installations and environmental
works. My work "Access to Landscape" is part of the exhibition. I´m foot
writing the letter on the snow.

The work is referring to my family history, to a small minority group in
Finland. It is about reflecting a community inside the society where the
cultural identity is laid and reconstructed through a language of
ancestors. It emphasises a language, which is absorbed by vicinity of
social relations. By transcribing the letter on the snowy landscape I
use public space as a kind of archive, restoring and presenting
inscription.
Here the writing is not for gaining semantic values, instead it is
performed like a symbolic act. The idea is to use the body as a writing
tool. It is inscriptions of written text laid down on the ground. It is
about existing, making and being visible. Time is pressed at least in a
double way; first it is an old document as a starting point and then a
snowy surface indicating temporality and challenging the notion of
oblivion.

The old document is written in Arabic script which was commonly used in
my childhood.

All the best,
Niran Baibulat

niranbaibulat.com