Help for WAN Archives

WAN Archives

WAN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WAN Home

WAN  February 2017

WAN February 2017

Call for Expression of Interest: anthology on running in a cultural context

Kai Syng Tan <[log in to unmask]>

Walking Artists Network <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:15:57 +0000

Hello all,

Following in the footsteps of the cultural tradition of walking (and upping the speed) a group of us (Dr Carali McCall, Annie Grove-White and myself) are keen to put together an anthology exploring running in a cultural context. While we are using the frameworks for the RUN! RUN! RUN! Biennale 2016 #r3fest that we co-curated to guide us, we would be keen to hear your suggestions for other approaches and themes. Please see details below and feel free to pass this call around. And if you are keen to find out more about the Biennale please click on the links at the bottom of this email.

Many thanks and we look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes (and in solidarity with what Mytho/Phil is planning regarding Trump's visit),
Kai

CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST: DEADLINE 1 MARCH 2017 16:00hrs

Are you an artist, academic, accountant, astronaut and/or runner or a running-curious? Do you ‘use’ running in your art installation/theatre/sonic art work/critical text/research/daily life/etc as methodology/metaphor/material or any ‘unusual’ manner, either directly or indirectly?
Are you interested to create a new work (or reconfigure existing work) into 4-5 pages using images and/or text?

If so, please send an email to [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> and tell us in no more than 300 words about yourself, your interest in running and what you intend to do. You may include with links to your website, existing portfolio and 2 image that you have uploaded online. up to 2 images, or even an sketch of what you intend to do – ensure that the file size are no more than 1MB each image please.

We are looking at putting together an anthology circa 2019/2020, of text and images on running as metaphor and methodology, with possible chapters on:

*running + drawing
*running + body
*running + gender
*running + city
*running + borders
*running + ageing
*running + imagination
* running+politics

If you have any suggestions and so on in terms of chapter headings, or who else to reach out to as participants or publishers, please let us know. We look forward to hearing from you.

ABOUT RUN! RUN! RUN! Biennale 2016 #r3fest:

Film clips (edited by Carali):

Film summary of Leeds-London-Cardiff events (21minutes): https://vimeo.com/203279048 <https://vimeo.com/203279048>
Leeds Leg (seminar on running + borders): https://vimeo.com/203280341 <https://vimeo.com/203280341>
London Leg (film screening and discussion on running + the city): https://vimeo.com/203292115 <https://vimeo.com/203292115>