Help for WAN Archives

WAN Archives

WAN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WAN Home

WAN  February 2017

WAN February 2017

Made of Walking 2017 / international open call for La Romieu, France.

Geert Vermeire <[log in to unmask]>

Walking Artists Network <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:16:42 +0000

Open call for Made of Walking Event in La Romieu, France - 27 August to 1 September 2017

“Sometimes we walk on the ground, sometimes on sidewalks or asphalt, or other surfaces. Can we find ground to walk on and can we listen for the sound or sounds of ground? Are we losing ground? Can we find new ground by listening for it?”—Pauline Oliveros (1932-2016)
Listening to the ground / Table of Walks is the inspiration and guide for reflections and walking actions during the Made of Walking Event in La Romieu, France - 27th of August to 1st of September 2017.

The theme of a (deep) listening to the world, related to World Listening Dag 2017, is the thread  of our meeting and simultaneously a tribute to Pauline Oliveros.

Made of Walking takes shape as an international nomadic school and  a festival, focusing on interdisciplinary approaches of walking practices, inviting walking artists and walking practitioners, with actions and workshops, in an atmosphere of experiental dialogue and learning.
The pilot of Made of Walking was held in Delphi - Greece in Summer 2016 in the framework of the Animart - experiential art school, forum and festival. More then hundred participants and twenty-three walking artists - practitioners from around the world contributed with walking actions, performances, workshops and public talks.

A report is available here: http://www.themilena.com/pdf-files-projects-the-milena-principle/Program%20shortened%20version.pdf
Made of Walking 2017 "Listening to the ground" / "Table of walks"

In 2017 Made of Walking will happen in the historical city of La Romieu (France) and its surrounding landscape, one of the most important passageways for pilgrims towards Santiago de Compostela. The five day event in La Romieu invites to a dialogue between  pilgrims and walking artists / practitioners. We invite all interested in the creativity of walking to submit a proposal relating to the theme "Listening to the ground" and / or  "Table of walks" as a secondary theme , the latter referring to dialogue between walkers and pilgrims and the intimacy of sharing a walk.

Participants are as well the audience. The walking actions / performances are meant to be realized collaboratively to fully experience the works. In fact participants and public become part of it.

The final program will consist out of a series of  walking actions, performances, workshops screenings and public talks relating to the topics above.
The sites: Collégiale Saint-Pierre (gothic monastic complex, http://www.la-romieu.com/collegiale-de-la-romieu ), Les Jardins de Coursiana (historical garden, http://www.la-romieu.com/les-jardins-de-coursiana ),  Lavoir de la Fontaine (an old Romanic site with a source and water bassin, https://www.lavoirs.org/images/32/32480_LA_ROMIEU_2_20140526_220432.jpg) and in the monumental landscape of La Romieu in general.
List of keynote walking artists: Isabelle Clermont (Canada), Gilles Malatray (France), Stefaan van Biesen and Geert Vermeire (Belgium), Stijn Dickel (Belgium), Andrew Stuck (UK).

Made of Walking 2017 is organized by the Milena principle (Belgium) in collaboration with actors from Lyon (France), Leboucquizouke (La Romieu, France), Aifoon (Belgium) and the Museum of Walking (UK). Curated by Isabelle Clermont (Canada), Gilles Malatray (France) and Geert Vermeire (Belgium).

Participation is as well possible only as attendee (limited availability). No funding is available, we can nevertheless provide in an official invitation that may help securing funding in your own institution or own country.
Participation fee is 45 euros for the complete 5 days.  Families are welcome, accomodation arrangements for families can be made.

Accomodation
Le Couvent de La Romieu.
Single room 32 euros. Double / twin room 48 euros. Breakfast included.
Advance to be paid on moment of booking.
http://www.lecouventdelaromieu.fr/

!!!An e-mail with interest in participation and the desired room type is expected latest on 1st of March.!!!
Deadline for full application is 15th of March.

Interest, questions and application to be sent to [log in to unmask] Documentation exceeding 20 MB to be sent via WeTransfer.
Site of organizer:
www.themilena.com

Site of the curators:
Isabelle Clermont - http://isabelleclermont.com/