Help for WAN Archives

WAN Archives

WAN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WAN Home

WAN  June 2017

WAN June 2017

Out and About in Kirklees: A psychogeographical study of Kirklees with the LGBT community

Alexander Bridger <[log in to unmask]>

Walking Artists Network <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Jun 2017 10:47:09 +0100

Greetings all,

We are doing a arts/academic project with LGBT people living in Kirklees - and hoping that might include some of you? If so, please read on - and if you can circulate this round your networks, that would be brilliant, thanks. Details below:

What is psychogeography and why do a project about psychogeography with the LGBT community?

Psychogeography is about exploring the world around us and is quite a playful practice to take ourselves out of routine practices of simply getting from A to B. Many artists, activists and intellectuals have been drawn to going on psychogeographical wanders around their own home towns and other places. However, not much has been done psychogeographically to explore peoples’ experiences of places from LGBT perspectives. In this project we want to represent LGBT peoples’ voices and to showcase your accounts and memories of the Kirklees area via a range of mediums including presenting work art exhibitions at local galleries, in academic papers and in public forums such as conferences and festivals. If you are an LGBT person, we welcome you regardless of your background, education, walk of life, age, race/ethnicity, faith, and level of ability/disability. If you need assistance with mobility, we would ask that you bring a friend/carer to help.

What’s involved and when will the project take place?

In this project we will use a range of playful, activist and creative methods while we wander around several key locations in West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester. We will use psychogeographical methods of wandering including disorientational devices such as dice walking, using maps of other towns and cities and general site specific studies of particular places based on choices made by the participants and walks leaders. The walks will be led by experienced psychogeographers with members and friends of the LGBT community. The walks will take place from July-December 2017.

It is not a requirement to provide a summary of your experiences and if you want to simply come along and enjoy the walks or if you wish to leave the walk at any time, then feel free to do so. You do not have to give a reason or explanation. We will be walking only in those areas that are accessible to the public (for health and safety reasons) and whilst reasonable precautionary measures will be taken, i.e. stopping at traffic lights and crossing only when the green man says say, the organisers of these walks do not claim responsibility for what happens in the places that we will walk in. Think of these walks as like an anti-tourist, anti-consumerist experience of the city!

There will be an exhibition of our photos and art in Huddersfield in 2018. The project is funded by a BA/Leverhulme small grant and it runs from May 2017 for 2 years.

We have a limited number of places for these walks. If you are interested, please email Tim on [log in to unmask]
For further info please check out the website:
https://www.hud.ac.uk/research/researchcentres/capr/projects/out_and_about_in_kirklees/

Cheers,
Alex Bridger (Co-Investigator)