Help for WAN Archives

WAN Archives

WAN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WAN Home

WAN  February 2017

WAN February 2017

Re: Terminalia Festival of Psychogeography Thurs 23 Feb. Leeds and Beyond.

Tim Waters <[log in to unmask]>

Walking Artists Network <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Feb 2017 16:36:22 +0000

Hello folks,

There have been a few new events added across the country for
Terminalia, the Festival of Psychogeography on 23 Feb 2017.

Please see the website for more details of the events,
http://terminaliafestival.org/#events

Full line up:

* 11am London, Vauxhall Bus Station: Exploring Boundaries and Monuments.
* All day, Anywhere: Terminalia Synchronised Walk
* 12pm Cambridge, Castle Mound: Burn British Psychogeography!
* 12.40pm Leeds, Kirkgate Market: WorkersLunchTime
* 1.30pm Leeds, Kirkgate Market: Threads - a market mis-guide
* 5.55pm Leeds, "Centered: Threshold / Hearth"
* 6pm Leeds, Central Road: Beating the Bounds - Circular walk around
medieval boundary of Leeds.

---

Newly added events:

11am, London, Vauxhall Bus Station: Exploring Boundaries and Monuments.

We will be walking at 11.00 am from Vauxhall bus station to Waterloo
station via Tate Britain, the site of Mark Wallinger's, "State
Britain" in 2007.
We will then follow an exploratory walk to Trafalgar Square and on to
St Paul’s , ending at Waterloo Station. This should take a couple of
hours allowing for a tea or coffee break en route. In recognition of
Terminus this walk will focus on exploring the memorials and statues
along the trajectory. We will observe how and what we choose to
commemorate and celebrate through our public spaces. Each participant
in the walk will receive a hand made rope which they can make knots in
to record the experience of the walk.

Free. There is a also a follow up walk on 25th Feb in Seasalter, Kent
to Micks Post. For further details and if you would like to attend
please contact Elspeth Penfold [log in to unmask] and have a
look at the pdf (on http://terminaliafestival.org/)

---

All day, Anywhere: Terminalia Synchronised Walk

Women Who Walk Network members, friends and curious passersby are
invited to take a dérive to celebrate the festival of Terminalia. In a
tribute to the borderless and liminal, this synchronised walk links to
the wider Terminalia Festival. Dérive as you like it – try one of
these provocations or just follow your curiosity: 1. Walk with
friends, family or colleagues. Seek synchronicity. Discuss your
findings. 2. Disobey signage. Defy walls and boundaries. Walk in a
straight line as far as you can. 3. Incorporate a catapult. Flip a
coin at junctions. Follow your nose, or a noise, or an annoyance.
Then share your experiences with fellow celebrants: For instant
sharing, tweet while you walk. Upload thoughts, findings or images to
@womenwhowalknet so Sonia can retweet them. Use #terminalia to follow
the synchronised walk on Twitter and add your comments. For a more
leisurely response, post your walking notes, comments or blog link to
the network website.

Curated by Sonia Overall, Women Who Walk Network

----

1.30pm Leeds, Kirkgate Market: Threads - a market mis-guide

Inspired by Hayley Alessi's experiences of visits to the market as a
small child, and other interactions with markets over the years. The
tour explores peoples’ connections to the market and to each other,
and shows why markets are an important part of our social history. The
walk reimagines the market through Hayley's personal stories and
experiences, and invites the participants to share some of their own
along the way. To do this she has a ball of thread, which she will
unravel as we walk, and tie knots in to remember each story as it
unfolds.

Meet at the M & S Clock in the 1904 hall. The walk last approximately 40 mins.
Created by Hayley Alessi for the Personal Shopper Cornucopia! project
in association with Katie Etheridge & Simon Persighetti for Compass
Festival 2016. For more info on this piece and other work see:
https://hayleyalessi.wordpress.com