Help for WAN Archives

WAN Archives

WAN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WAN Home

WAN  June 2017

WAN June 2017

Otley Psychogeographic Sound Walk - Sat 25 June

Tim Waters <[log in to unmask]>

Walking Artists Network <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jun 2017 10:53:22 +0100

Otley West Yorkshire. Saturday 25 June. 2.30pm

Hello friends,

As part of the Otley Walking Festival 2017 you are invited to the
"Psychogeographic Sound Walk" on Saturday 24 June at 2.30pm outside
Otley Courthouse, which I am running and all are welcome to come! We
will be exploring the natural and man made sounds that make up the
soundscape of the town. We will be actively listening and talking
about the sounds that we can hear and walking and experiencing the
town in a new way.

It's a slow walk of around 2 hours and there is a break half way at
Wharfemeadows Park by the river for a chat about the themes as well as
an ice cream and a cuppa.

As we walk around walkers will be encouraged to use their ears more
than before. We will follow a route that leads within and around the
town, exploring different sounds and environments in Otley. At certain
places, the group will stop and listen and talk about the sounds they
can hear. In short sections you will walk in single file but for most
of the walk we will walk together. Sounds you may encounter could be
birds tweeting, wind rustling, engines purring, fans whirring, the
river flowing, people talking and your own footsteps.

The walk is undertaken at a slow pace and should be suitable for most.
There are a small number of places with a few steps, a part with some
grass in a park to walk over and some roads to cross, additionally
some stone flags which may be slippery.

The walk leaves at 2.30pm from the courtyard outside Otley Courthouse
on the dot so please arrive a little bit early, and will run
regardless of the weather so bring appropriate clothing or an umbrella
if it's forecast to rain! Look out for me as I will be outside wearing
a high visibility jacket.

See you there!

Tim

p.s. The Otley Walking Festival has lots more walks in both rural and
urban environments around the area runs from June 24th to July 2nd.
http://www.otleywalkingfestival.co.uk/index.php/programme/full-programme.html

And here's a map showing where Otley Courthouse is
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/53.90625/-1.69237