Help for WAN Archives

WAN Archives

WAN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WAN Home

WAN  November 2017

WAN November 2017

Re: WAN Digest - 19 Nov 2017 to 26 Nov 2017 (#2017-50)

Daniel Belasco Rogers <[log in to unmask]>

Walking Artists Network <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:24:37 +0100

Dear Geert, dear list,

If you are at all concerned with where your data goes and who has it,
please bear in mind that there is a trade-off between simplicity (ease of
use) and security (who else knows about it).

After more than a decade of recording everywhere we go with GPS, I would
personally never use smartphone apps to do this because of these data
concerns, battery life / reliability as well as locked-in formats that
are hard to use with other things you might want to do with the
information later.

The good news is that any GPS track will contain an accurate time stamp
for each location that if it is coordinated with a media capture device
(camera, video, audio recorder) that can also write a time stamp into
the metadata of the file, it is then simple for anyone making a 'digital
platform' to associate GPS track and media. Don't feel that you
absolutely need a 'app' to do all this for you. Even if you still want
to use a phone, you can consider just enabling the GPS location stamp on
the camera, or just relying on the phone operating system to timestamp
the video and audio files accurately. Be very wary of software that
wants to visualise your track by uploading it to a site, processing it
and then showing you. Data is the new oil and we are the extraction
site.

If you'd like to continue discussing this, please feel free to contact
me off list.

bests

Dan

> Date:    Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:12:12 +0000
> From:    Geert Vermeire <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: a (very simple) app or software to trace your walks and add media
>
> Dear all,
>
> A very quick question, that may have been asked before. Please feel
> free to PM me if this is the case. 1) I am looking for an app and
> software that traces your trajectory during walking and to which you
> can (during your walk) add media (photographs and texts (the most
> evident), but maybe there are as well apps that allow sound or video).
> Idea is of course to be able to share this media trajectory mapping
> with others in a digital platform. I am aware of some apps (for
> runners) that allow this, but still I would like to ask you to
> recommend me apps that you have used personally and that have worked
> satisfactory (in an artistic context).
>
> 2) I am looking for a very simple mapping software, that allows to
> make online or offline digital maps where you allocate media on places
> you chose (photographs and texts (the most evident), also sound or
> video). As well accessible for a large public. I am interested in maps
> that you may have used personally.
>
> Looking forward to your recommendations and I will happy to share with
> everybody interested. Please PM me.
>
> All the best,
>
> Geert

 http://planbperformance.net/